Default Entrance in the body vs lifted or offset lid?

I'm now building a long lang and I'm trying to decide where to make the entrance. Is there any significant difference between a hole(s) drilled near the top of the hive body and gapping a migratory cover when it comes to management? I'm leaning towards making a high entrance in the hive body so I can more easily screen it closed with a disc for transport as I can't think of a good way to close up a gapped migratory cover and still leave ventilation. Thoughts?

Default Re: Entrance in the body vs lifted or offset lid?

Depending on how far you are hauling the hive, ventilation is not a problem with a closed hive. Its not airtight anyway. If you are hauling long distances in full sun, a vented small hole wont save your hive. If you want a vented hole, drill one with a hole saw and save the plug to cover it until you need to transport, using a gap in the meantime. Best of both worlds.

I made covering boards for my long hives from 3/4" ply. There were 3 of them plus a narrow board (because my Lang equipment is 8 frame and I wanted to be able to super.) I made my entrances by routing out a slot 3/8" deep on the edge of the first covering board. Here's a pic of one upside down:

topenter1.jpg

If you need to seal up the hive, all you have to do is flip it over. I'd use a ratcheting strap to ensure the lids don't bounce off.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Anytime I can solve a problem without drilling holes in my boxes, that's what I do. I hate holes in my boxes...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

There is a difference:

In the future, when what is now a top box is pressed into service on another hive somewhere and you go to take it off during an inspection, you won't get stung for putting your hand near an entrance hole you forgot to plug/forgot was there.

I also incorporate top entrances into my top covers, but by adding a 1/4-3/8" shim with the entrance opening in it on the bottom of them.

Understood. I like the routed top idea. If you go with three separate top covers do you put a 3rd cover of some type on over the full length to keep rain from seeping in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    Understood. I like the routed top idea. If you go with three separate top covers do you put a 3rd cover of some type on over the full length to keep rain from seeping in?
    Yes. I cut a 10 foot piece of galvanized roofing in half. The overhangs keep everything dry.

colorfulyard.jpg

Another advantage of the routed top is that it makes the hive more flexible. For example, I hived a split in the other end of an occupied long hive temporarily, by routing an entrance in the covering board at that end and using a tight follower board to section the hive into two spaces. When I moved the split out, I just flipped the board over to close up that end of the hive. Also, If you fill up the long hive and want to super it, the routed top board just goes on top of the super-- your entrance just moves up. My Lang hives also have this type of top entrance, and it makes supering as easy as it would be with a bottom entrance. I use migratory covers on the Lang hives, so as not to block the top entrance.

With the Langs, it is an extra piece of wood, if you use migratory covers and no inner cover, but it also serves the purpose of giving you a good place to put a feeder, as you can see from the first pic I posted.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF