Default Advice needed re nosema cerana testing

Hi folks, following some issues with some hives I had some bees tested in a lab and discovered they have nosema cerana.

Have heard this can be tested for at home with a microscope. So, need advice, how to do this, what sort of microscope, etc... Any useful advice gratefully received.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Advice needed re nosema cerana testing

Try this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDN7r1SfbY About the five minute mark.

OT, this link solved the problem for me. Follow the instructions and you should be all set. I check my hives about 4X a year.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick...opy-of-nosema/

Good one Camero7, I have forgotten about that one. I have never done it but I think I will try it out this year.

Thanks guys that's excellent, pretty much will get me set up.

Only thing I might be weak on is picking the difference between n. apis & n. ceranae, but anyhow I'll get the gear get started & see how it goes.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I've never been able to tell the difference myself, but knowing how infected a hive is the most important thing. When I sent bees to be examined there was no differentiation from Beltsville.

Had some hives go off feed so got out the microscope got 25 bees and 25 ml water in a sandwich bag then roll over with a round jar. Wow had 30 million per bee think will treat with fumagillin thinking a dry feed treatment.
    David
    beebotanical.com 40 years-4000 colonies-treatment eo's

You might consider drenching with HBH a couple of times. If they're off feed, why would they take dry feed. Some beekeepers have reported successful treatment with about a cup of HBH poured between the frames.

Don't use antibiotics here so no personal experience, but a Canadian beekeeper told me that to treat a bad A. ceranae infection with fumagillin, if it's a bad infection the bees go off their feed and will not take the syrup. So the first application should be sprayed over the bees so they are forced to lick it off. This gets them into good enough shape for a normal treatment a week or so later.

EDIT - started writing before I saw you post Camero.

Almonds are done and bees are robby. Have used fumagillin and drivert in the past they take it just fine. Have been using OE'S in syrup I don't think it help with nosema.
    David
    beebotanical.com 40 years-4000 colonies-treatment eo's

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
    Good one Camero7, I have forgotten about that one. I have never done it but I think I will try it out this year.
    Make sure you read the companion article... http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick...sema-sampling/

It describes not only "are" my bee's infected, but an approach to the infection rate of the hive for treatment decisions.