Thread: slatboards

Default slatboards

just read the idiots guide to bee keeping. guy recommends a slatboard placed between the bottom board and the hive body. says it helps with ventilation and hive security. anybody know much about this, or use this item?

Default Re: slatboards

They're called "slatted racks", they were used by Karl Killion to produce comb honey. I've used them, in many different configurations, and even on the inside walls of my brood supers.

The above is just one configuration I've tried and still use on most of my colonies.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I started using them last year and I will say that it noticeably reduced afternoon bearding on hot days. It supposedly encourages increased laying in the lower box.

I use them on my hives..... Like has already been mentioned I have noticed significantly less bearding..... Also have noticed that my frames are more completely filled out near the bottom....

Another piece of equipment to buy. I just place a box (super, deep, whatever) with empty frames on the bottom board and then the hive on top of that. If they draw on it, bonus. It saves having more "pieces" of a hive to have on hand when you are expanding. Still achieves the same benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
    Another piece of equipment to buy. I just place a box (super, deep, whatever) with empty frames on the bottom board and then the hive on top of that. If they draw on it, bonus. It saves having more "pieces" of a hive to have on hand when you are expanding. Still achieves the same benefit.
    Your post got me thinking, would it work if I made a stubby hive body out of 1x4 with frame rests and then instead of whole frames just use top bars with comb guides? That way if they wanted they could build on it and it wouldn't increase the height of the hive as much. Also a heck of a lot easier to build than a slatted board.
    Colino
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

That would work. I just like not having a bunch of special equipment. I try and find multiple uses for the standard parts.

They can also be made using PVC pipe segments for the slats, wow does that use a lot of PVC pipe, but they work very well, too.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    They can also be made using PVC pipe segments for the slats, wow does that use a lot of PVC pipe, but they work very well, too.
    I was playing in my shop yesterday and built this slatted BB can anyone see any problems with it. I just ripped a 1x4 in half, put a 3/4" rabbet on 3 sides of the end pieces. The slats are 1" wide pieces of 1x4 and the plywood is 1/2". I placed it on a screened BB for example of how to use it. It was extremely simple to build and you can make 2 out of each 1x4 ripped in half. I have no experience with these so any advice would be appreciated.
    Colino

IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

How does the slatted rack help with ventilation? I thought thats the purpose of the screened bottom board. I read the article on the build it yourself page about the slatted rack, but is this something that I should be using? The article states that it should be an accepted piece of equipment. Is that the consensus? It sounds like something I need to try to build & use.

I have been aware of them for quite some time, but I thought it was just another variation of the screened bottom board. After reading this post, I am thinking I should consider trying a few.

Rob

I use them. I've used them from the beginning of my beekeeping and I've never had bearding. I'm in Florida. I decided to use them after a lot of research. Mine are from Mann Lake. They have a solid section that goes toward the front that is supposed to cut down on too many drafts.

Should the rack be designed so that the location of the slats put them directly under the frames?

Phil

Do you leave them on in winter or remove them?

Yes, some commercial Slatted-Racks are configured so that the slats are running front to back, and align where standard frames would be positioned above each slat (supposedly to facilitate Varroa falling through).

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I leave them in, year-'round, since they are an intrinsic part of most of my Bottom Boards. And I do have one traditional Slatted-Rack, on my one standard 10-frame deep hive, with a traditional Bottom Board and I leave it in, also. I just use an entrance reducer, to reduce any drafts and to help reduce robbing.

Most of my full size hives have them, just above the Screened Bottom Boards (but there are no entrances down there, for anything but air). In winter, I put a piece of foamboard beneath them (to reduce the amount of cool air entering the hive). Around here, bottom entrances are nothing but snack trays for nocturnal predators, like toads. We have lots of skunks, too. Even if the entrances were elevated on double cement blocks (16 inches), I found that some toads were able to hop up onto the protruding (landing board), section of a traditional Bottom Board entrance. Even now, though rare, every so often, I'll find a toad has even managed to hop up onto the Cover of a hive and is eating bees from the upper entrance (especially if the hive is a single story, medium).
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

I have finished building my supers, and am now working on frames, but will definitely build a slatted rack too. That will complete the basic hive. My bottom board is not screened, so I may make one that is before I am done. Thinking that if I cut out a hole in the bottom board, put on screen, I can still use the cut out part on hinges with a slide bolt to close it back up in winter, filling the saw kerf with weather stripping to make it tight.