Default Do a little dance... Make a little buzzz... Get down tonight!... Clearly a social!

I didn't hear any music, but this hive was clearly dancing in this video. I thought it strange when I took this video and wondered if it might be some kind of pre-swarm ritual or something, but they never swarmed! Anybody ever seen anything like this before? Hazard a guess as to what this is?

ENJOY!

Default Re: Do a little dance... Make a little buzzz... Get down tonight!... Clearly a socia

They're washbording, I've heard it's bored house bees.

Default Re: Do a little dance... Make a little buzzz... Get down tonight!... Clearly a socia

Yep, fairly common, it's called washboarding...It's my understanding that it's really unknown as to why bees do it. But there are lots of theories, I guess "bored house bees" is as good as any.

Thanks guys. I've never seen this before and didn't know what to make of it. Now that I know what its called, I see that it is pretty common and there are several videos out there. I still think it's funny and its slightly more amusing to think their at the Ho-down or pick your favorite social. I was tempted to find some music that would fit and overdub it, but thought better of it. Anyway. Thanks

So how common is this behavior?
    Workingtosavetheworld1beeatatime:-)~ Researching winter loss prevention- 12 yrs, 2 recent - 10 Hives, WARMBEES.COM

Very common. I see more newly hived swarms doing it than any other (sorta like a clearing out the moth balls kinda thing), though just about any strong healthy hive could start doing it, during active, warmer times of the year.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni