Default Resistant Bee Keeping: the Agnostic View.

If all beekeepers had resistant bees, would they need a beekeeping philosophy?

Default Re: Resistant Bee Keeping: the Agnostic View.

Did beekeepers have a philosophy before varroa?

I have a philosophy. Help as many beekeepers as possible get started with resistant bees. When that philosophy gets old, I'll come up with a new one.
    DarJones - 45 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

mite resistant? afb resistant?,efb, trachial, nosema c, nosema a,wax moth(stretching i know) resistant. yes there would still be people who ran them for maximum profit, and people treat them as pets, and people who pollinate and people who make comb honey, and people who shake them out every fall, people who take them south, people who over winter inside,etc...

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    If all beekeepers had resistant bees, would they need a beekeeping philosophy?
    I'm sure it would be something like this: "Ok girls, if those humans with the funny clean white suits come any closer... STINGEM! and don't stop till they go away! All for one and one for all! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN! HAIL TO THE QUEEN!... And please report any funny smells to the DRONE-MASTER for further investigation. That's all - carry on!"

...Um, you meant would "they" the beekeepers need a beekeeping philosophy, didn't you. Sorry, nevermind!

>Did beekeepers have a philosophy before varroa?

All the ones I knew believed that pesticides were wrong and it was just a trap. They would give a lecture on the "pesticide treadmill" at the drop of a hat to anyone who would listen...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

And that is exactly the point! The entire human race has dedicated it's self to creating clones of themselves. They run around spouting The importance of the individual. Then argue until they are blue in the face how wrong those are that do not think exactly as they do. It matters not weather it is bees, the brand of soup you buy, the kind or make of car you drive, or the close you wear. everyone believes they use, follow and buy the best. to believe anything else would be to admit that one is other than perfect. it matters not that most philosophies people have were given unto them by other people no more perfect than those we dismiss and wrongfully miss led.
    I find it fascinating how a group of people who admire the cohesive cooperation of a group of insects, cannot work as a unit in any matter concerning those insects unless the members of the unit are all in complete and total agreement on every aspect.

Even funnier how they attack those they should be helping. Sort of like a body attacking it's own cells.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Sorry if my response seamed flippant or inappropriate. It's just that the first thing that crossed my mind, was kind of like the cheese commercial, where the cheese was immature... Being a fan of Monty Python didn't help either.

But seriously,

I should think that if it is philosophies like caring about the environment, nature, and in many cases your profession, that brings us to the point of resistant bees, or the perfection of any other passion, for that matter, why would we then abandon those tools and methods, or allow them to be diluted or supplanted by inferior means? I would think we should rather hold to current proven philosophy/methods until improvements come along.

Until then, we should adopt the current philosophies to be the bar against which all else is measured. Perhaps this is the credo of an idealist. Breaks down when ulterior motives, greed or impure practices creep in... or the extreme Left, or the extreme Right, or the free-loaders, or the corrupt, or the... Those who would profit from the destruction of the very ship that buoy's them and their family up, than help plug the holes and preserve!

IT BOILS DOWN TO INTEGRITY. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    And that is exactly the point! The entire human race has dedicated it's self to creating clones of themselves. They run around spouting The importance of the individual. Then argue until they are blue in the face how wrong those are that do not think exactly as they do. It matters not weather it is bees, the brand of soup you buy, the kind or make of car you drive, or the close you wear. everyone believes they use, follow and buy the best. to believe anything else would be to admit that one is other than perfect. it matters not that most philosophies people have were given unto them by other people no more perfect than those we dismiss and wrongfully miss led.
    I find it fascinating how a group of people who admire the cohesive cooperation of a group of insects, cannot work as a unit in any matter concerning those insects unless the members of the unit are all in complete and total agreement on every aspect.
    Excellent post Tenbears, I just edited your last line to: "I find it fascinating how a group of people who admire the cohesive cooperation of a group of insects, cannot work as a unit in any matter concerning those insects unless the members of the unit are all in complete and total agreement on every aspect(with only them).
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

in my philosophy mites and dealing with mites ranks in importance with weather and dealing with it, time management, resource management, etc...i have not built my philosophy around mites.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >All the ones I knew believed that pesticides were wrong and it was just a trap.
    Yes, but we had to change the name to make 'pesticides' acceptable, to 'miticides'.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Actually, most of the current acaracides used to be called insecticides, not just pesticides... organphosphates were the common one back in the 70s but they were outlawed because they were too dangerous. They got emergency provisions for the Varroa so they could put them in the hive...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF