Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default For Treatment Free Beeks only

I'm guessing to call yourself treatment free, you must have a definition in mind as to what that is. It seems that TF folks cannot among themselves agree what it is. If you sugar dust, are you still TF? If you use FGMO, are you still TF?

What is treatment free?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Default Re: For Treatment Free Beeks only

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I'm guessing to call yourself treatment free, you must have a definition in mind as to what that is. It seems that TF folks cannot among themselves agree what it is. If you sugar dust, are you still TF? If you use FGMO, are you still TF?

What is treatment free?
    The definition is in the first post at the top of this forum.

HTH

Rusty (who is NOT treatment free)
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

The official forum definition is referenced in the sticky at the top.

My definition is a bit simpler. I do nothing at all to prevent varroa mites killing my bees. It is entirely survival of the fittest. My bees are thriving since 2005, therefore it must be working.
    DarJones - 45 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

"Unique Forum Rules... Discussions of the definition of 'Treatment-Free' will be deleted."

The forum rules define it as per this forum.

But other than that, common sense would dictate that a person is treatment free if they do not treat their bees. Hence, if they treat their bees with, say, sugar dust, they are not treatment free.

However there is no reason for anyone to get hung up over it. Being TF is great, but if someone wants to be "mostly" treatment free but maybe use organic ones, or whatever, so what, their choice, no dramas.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

The definition for the forum is so we can define the topic and not waste time with off topic suggestions, e.g. you ask a question and 20 people pipe in that you need to treat...

From the logical point of view, though, how can you say "I'm treatment free, I only treat with ______" and not be contradicting yourself?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    From the logical point of view, though, how can you say "I'm treatment free, I only treat with ______" and not be contradicting yourself?
    Exactly! So if you treat with anything ...... you're not treatment free.....
    Last edited by snl; 03-06-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Exactly! So if you treat with anything ...... you're not treatment free.....
    There are lots of contradictions (ironies?) here, starting with someone selling Oxalic Acid treatments in his signature line who starts a thread titled "For Treatment Free Beeks only."

But I guess marking off a space where treatments are off-topic is too tempting for those who disagree.

The only reason I can think why the whole thread hasn't already been deleted, is that maybe the moderator hasn't read the sticky either. Another irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofu View Post
    There are lots of contradictions (ironies?) here, starting with someone selling Oxalic Acid treatments in his signature line who starts a thread titled "For Treatment Free Beeks only."
    Just because I sell OAV does not mean that I'm not interested it what others have to say on this topic. Should I have removed my signature line before posting? Would that have made a difference? I think not....

I can't wait for all the treatment free bee people's bees to die so we can get rid of this whole topic and it's definition
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I've been trying to get my bees to die since 2005. I must not be doing something right. lol Rofl
    DarJones - 45 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    I've been trying to get my bees to die since 2005. I must not be doing something right. lol Rofl
    Mine died at year 9 so yours should be soon. My oldest current hives are 3 years in without treatment... I don't consider them treatment free, and the reason I don't treat is because I am cheap, not trying to save the world... bees are free.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

My oldest is hanging in there at 4 years. Don't like them though, about to split them up. Just had one die at 4 1/2, didn't really like them either though.

FYI - I am cheap too.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Just because I sell OAV does not mean that I'm not interested it what others have to say on this topic. Should I have removed my signature line before posting? Would that have made a difference? I think not....
    Well, the irony is the 'subject header' says it's "for" TF beeks *only*, and not only are you posting in the thread, you're the one who started it! The signature only accentuates the point. Maybe if you had titled it "For Treatment Free Beeks (and other inquiring minds) only." So for me, that's a funny.

Personally, I don't object (very much). In my posts here I've tried to stay within the boundaries, even though I'm not "treatment-free" yet (see my profile for details). The sticky does allow for me to participate, as long as I'm trying to head in the TF direction, which I am.
    Beekeeping - a form of magic that weaves together two elements: wood and bees.

What is treatment free?
    Isn't this horse dead enough?
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Newbie here who *just* read the special forum rules, then read this next. I literally laughed through it - glad I got to read it before it gets deleted.

Did you find it useful?!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by So_Many_Hats View Post
    Newbie here who *just* read the special forum rules, then read this next. I literally laughed through it - glad I got to read it before it gets deleted.
    Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Do we get a t-shirt for seeing it?

Quote Originally Posted by senilking View Post
    Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Do we get a t-shirt for seeing it?
    We should! I think it should say "OxaVap: for treatment-free beeks only"

As a new-bee in this arena, I have taken the time to peruse many threads on this forum. There appear to be many times when there have been passionate statements made by "treatment-free" and "treatment" individuals that have been inflammatory. Rather than try to decide which side wins and how to define terms, we should all learn from each other's success and failure and decide which options are best for us individually and our bees. I would be happy to debate anyone, if they wish, that providing an artificial home is a treatment. While practicing medicine, there are many patients who choose treatments I do not recommend. They are still my patients. Hopefully, through this process, we all learn what works, and what is best for the bees.

“As a general rule...people ask for advice only in order not to follow it; or if they do follow it, in order to have someone to blame for giving it.”
    ― Alexandre Dumas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast