Default After winter frames of bees

I am curious about how many frames of bees you have on your inspections this time of year. I popped the lids up on my hives last weekend just long enough to see if I had bees. It was cold enough out that the bees were moving around the tops of the frames but for the most part still clustered. Most hives had 3 1/2- 4 frames of bees. One hive had 2 frame of bees. One frame had 2 1/2-3. One hive has 6 - 7 frames of bees.
    How does this stack up to other hives in the Midwest especially near my area. I am in Southwest Indiana.

Default Re: After winter frames of bees

Good question, I'm in East Tn but was wondering the same thing about what other folks see this time of year. I'm sure it is geographic specific but I would be interested in what others are experiencing...I have 2 hives and each overwintered in 2 deep hive bodies…one hive has 20 frames full of bees and the 2nd has about 3 or 4 frames of bees…They went into winter about the same population. I added a super last weekend to give the first colony some room…thinking about moving some bees over to the smaller colony...
    2 year - 6 hives - T

Without pulling frames as it is too early and cold for that here, My survivors 18/23 all cover four or more frames. Many cover the whole top of the upper brood box. Four smallish clusters died this last month of cold. I believe because they lost contact with food stores in cold weather. That is 78% which I am not unhappy with this hard long winter. Unfortunately, it is not over.

After equalizing, we now have 4-5 frames of brood in all our hives, which is different than frames of bees.

4 frames of bees is just fine. I went into my backyard hive 2 weeks ago and they were at 3.5 frames. Went in yesterday and had 10 frames with solid brood patterns on 6-7 frames. Added another medium. Off to the races we go...

Wow Beetastic that is a big increase in 2 weeks. What area are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikebs View Post
    Wow Beetastic that is a big increase in 2 weeks. What area are you in?
    I live in Redwood City, known as the Peninsula in the SF Bay Area. I've got a ton of flowering pear trees, plums, crab apple, etc going on right now. I think a lot of the weeds and grasses are coming on too because we've had such a dry season. These last few weeks are the only decent rain we've had the whole year to really soak the ground and get everything to germinate. It's absolutely gorgeous today. Gonna be high 60's with humidity and lots of sunshine. Go bees go!