Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colony Losses In The Southeastern States

Just wanted to ask if anyone other than myself sustained high losses this year due to the ice and snow we had in the SE. I had about 8 and lost them all. Didn't pull honey from them. We never get weather like this and I'm wondering if it had some effect. I do tend to have high hive beetle counts but these weren't too bad. Hopefully the ice and snow will take care of the beetles this year to some extent.

Just wondering.

Default Re: Colony Losses In The Southeastern States

Scott
    I live in south east tn, I lost one this winter, and it had a questionable queen going into fall, my fault really for not re queening sooner. I was worried about the cold also, I fed mountain camp style on all my langs and they seem to have come through. Did you treat your hives with anything in the fall? Losing all of them sounds like something else happened besides the cold.
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

sorry to hear about your bees scott. it has been a relatively long cold winter even for us here in the southeast. the blooms and my colonies are 3 - 4 weeks behind where they have been in previous years.

i lost 2 out of 13 established hives and 2 out of 6 nucs. this was my first year to try overwintering on five frames and i don't think i'll try anything less than ten from now on.

i had 18 established hives going into the 2012 winter and lost 6 of them, 4 of which i found alive but either queenless or with a failing queen and it was too early to requeen. so this year despite the cold my survival rate was better than last year.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I'm 2 down out of 14 this year.
    I don't really count hives till april, but I think this cold
    has been hard, and that there will probably be pretty high losses in the north.
    (I run 9 in a 10, all deeps, singles through winter)

I've been lucky. I had a weak hive pared down to a glorified 5 frame nuc going into winter here in Chattanooga. I put a candy board on them and hoped for the best. They ran out of stores in the comb and were munching away on the dry sugar when the weather warmed up enough for me to give them some emergency syrup, but other than that they've done very well.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

I had 6, didn't lose any. Hate you lost yours. Did you do mite counts. You can see SHB, it's very hard to see mites unless they are on a sticky board. High mite numbers really weaken a hive over the winter. SHB won't kill a small hive, but they can kill a hive weakened by mites.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 10T {OAV}

Our beekeeping club in southeast Ohio reported average losses over 50% at our February meeting. These losses were coming from hives that were roaring strong going into the winter with pests/disease under control. Autopsies of hives indicates that the bees were having to stay too active during the weeks of sub-freezing and sub-zero temperatures to keep warm, which translated into them eating through their honey stores too quickly and starving (even with candy boards). Hate to think what another month of sub-freezing temps will do to the bees around here, especially since most of our bees come from Georgia in one fashion or another.

Sorry to hear about your losses. The weather was to cold for some of our girls. I lose 4 of my hives here in Hopkins SC. I think is was a mite thing. The other hives are all doing strong. I don't live far from you if I can help PM me

If the south is facing delays due to weather, I wonder if it will affect spring package deliveries.

collbran colorado lost only one hive out of ten.today there bringing in pollen from maple trees.winter is over woot.

Knock on wood, but both of mine and 8 out of 9 of my neighbor's (the dead out was known weak going in) were still alive and kicking as of last week in central KY. The local Dadants outlet reports unusually heavy loss reports for the area though

Sorry for your lost. Went into winter with six and so far still have, one is weak I think cause of third year queen. Apiguard for mites and have been feeding all winter with mountain camp sugar and fondant. Six is all I want for now, try my hand at nucs and keeping some queens on hand. Hope we have better year . Steve

With me it is so far so good. Haven't lost any yet.

all 8 of mine are doing well. We will call it beginners luck. At the end of this month, I will have been a beekeeper for one year.

I have 2 of six down now but we still have ~2 more months of winter/spring left.

I don't think the cold is too big a problem as long as they go into winter with a healthy, good sized, cluster. I've lost 14% of my production colonies this year from mite related issues. I've lost 10% of my nucs because I failed to feed them up in the fall. None of these colonies died because of cold. At 37 lattitude and 2,200 ft we have seen colder weather than those of you south of here. Some of the successful New England beekeepers that we all know here on Beesource get through much, much harsher weather with low loss rates.

My survivors look real strong. They're brooding up and just starting to bring in pollen on the mild days.

Winter of 2012-13 was much worse for my bees with 40% losses. Nearly all of it was related to high mite populations.

Lost 17 out of 37 here but some were from late cutouts and were kind of iffy when going into winter. I lost 5 hives that have been going since 2006.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Bad luck to place a number on them, that's worse than cutting fingernails on Sunday or killing cats.

28 hives. Lost 2 but 100% my fault. Starved out. I overwinter in single deeps and allow them to keep all mid summer(cotton) and late summer(goldenrod). Was surprised I lost 2. These hives just blew through reserves.
    30 hives and counting...
    Huntsville, AL: Alabama's best kept secret

Lost one , but not due to weather.
    Ed