Question Honey with a minty taste

Hello there,
    I have been involved in sampling honey from various beekeeping operations in
    plant hardiness zone 6b, 6a and 5b. This would include central PA, and SW New York.
    A good deal of the honey has a minty taste, that I had not had the pleasure of enjoying beefore.
    With the wide range of where the girls are finding this sweet nectar, I do not beelieve that it
    could correlate with farming, instead I am thinking of a wild species, yet I am unsure. Two
    possibilities that I've pondered are Horsemint or Sweet Fennel.
    Any ideas? Thank You for reading this.
    I'm still Livin' & Learnin'

Default Re: Honey with a minty taste

Are you sure they aren't using essential oils? What time of year is it coming in? Catnip, horsemint, spearmint and peppermint are all popular with the bees...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-05-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Linden tree honey, has a minty taste.
    Paul 15 years 15 hives TF

Essential oils are not in this equation. The nectar was gathered mostly in July and in copious amounts, leading me to beelieve that it must bee a very significant honey flow. The honey was gathered by numerous beekeepers in many yards and the taste is quite nice. I had never run into this distinct flavor. I am going to keep diggin', yet I do beelieve that you are pointing me in the right direction.

Perhaps, yet all of the basswood/ linden honey that I have had in the past did not strike me with this nice balance of mint overtones. Could bee that the linden along with......truly enhance the flavor.

I found it in my hives by accident last spring while pulling frames of honey making up nucs. Like Graperunner suggests, I was told it was from basswood / linden trees. It has a minty, almost medicinal flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Graperunner View Post
    Linden tree honey, has a minty taste.
    Yup, that's it. Basswood.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I've noticed anise blue hyssop seems to add a minty taste in the summer. Bees love the plant.
    Dan

HI-basswood/Linden-one of our favorites-they don't produce it every year due to weather. Last summer was a great year in most NY/PA locations.
    Nick

I got a little minty honey from a hive in northern NY last summer. Nice to discover it was basswood; it was a new flavor to me. I hadn't realized there was a lot of basswood in that area.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Looking like most votes are favoring Basswood, giving me a new opinion of Basswood honey, having not been a big fan of any Basswood Honey that I had sampled in the past. I still like to entertain the idea that perhaps there is some Horsemint, other mint, catnip or hyssop in the mix. Whatever it is, I'm certainly enjoying this Honey...