Default Plastic Honey Bears and Jars

I have a question that was asked of me and I do not know the answer perhaps someone can help. I have been using plastic honey bears from Gamber Container that I like very much and are good quality. I know plastic bears and jars are sold by many companies. The question is if the honey crystallizes in the plastic bears..... is it safe to place the bear in a warm water bath to de-crystallize? Does the plastic contaminate the honey? I believe the same type of plastic is used in water bottles and soft drinks and it is frozen perhaps with no problems but what about heat. Crystallization is generally not an issue for the store bought honey that has often been heated and strained.

Default Re: Plastic Honey Bears and Jars

Hot tap water is fine - stay away from highly heated (boiling) water. My mother-in-law decided to try a microwave and that was NOT fine. A decade later I'm still hearing about that.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

As Andrew eluded to, as long as you keep the temperature of the water reasonable, I think you're fine. However, I've always found the warm water bath to de-crystalize honey a bit of a pain. The best advice that I've seen and tried, that works great is to bring the bottle with you on a warm sunny day and leave the bottle on the dashboard of your car....works like a charm!

My question really pertains to the us elf plastic bottles. When heat is applied does the plastic contaminate the honey? I do use the warm water bath with my glass jars and I am very satisfied although it is a lot of work and I try to do a number of jars at a time. Food grade plastic buckets are used by many bee keepers but I am more concerned about plastic bears especially if they can be safely heated.

Your best info will come from the manufacturer of the bears.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

This is the same debate that has raged regarding sports water bottles.
    The good news is that BPA is now out of most products and is the first question I'd ask to any plastic bear manufacturer.

However, there is no question that the informed public prefers glass or even metal containers; which is really just glass for honey.

Heat the water to about 140deg. Put something so the bears cant come into contact with the bottom of the pan, because it will be much hotter than 140 deg. Put the bears in until the honey is all liquid. Remove and let cool and you will be fine. I have done this several times with the bears I get from Kelley and have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Hot tap water is fine - stay away from highly heated (boiling) water. My mother-in-law decided to try a microwave and that was NOT fine. A decade later I'm still hearing about that.

How about a heating pad on low?