Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bee School Quandry

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    This nicely sums up my frustration at treating by the calendar.
    Consider having a 2 hour summer class as a follow up. Fall Management. We try to do that too most years- generally we will have it by mid August. We cover mite sampling and treatment. We also send out informational emails every August with this information.
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    You could show them how to pull drone brood with a capping scratcher. Maybe they'll feel better about killing drone pupae and not worker bees.
    As usual, a great suggestion. I have done this many times with newer beeks. Quite humbling when they see all those mites on the drone pupae. Photos another option, not quite the same, but can help make the point.
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Quite humbling when they see all those mites on the drone pupae.
    We usually see this in between frame drone pupae that are exposed during our August workshops.
    In Andrew's defense, even after a beeyard demonstration of mite sampling techniques the great majority of students choose a no sample/no treat or treat by the calendar approach. I also regularly get asked 'when do you do splits?' I'll start to describe the conditions that I look for.....and midstream they'll stop me and ask for a date.
    As I said earlier.....few will ever really get a passion and consequently the understanding of the dynamics at work. And, I believe, you simply have to accept that or stop teaching. A bit like I tell new beekeepers....'you have to harden your heart if you plan to keep bees....no matter what you do some will die'. A similar thing applies to teaching....some will soak up everything they can and some never will....and there isn't anything you can do to change that. Just be satisfied with those who get it.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

If you read some of the USDA publications on agriculture and animal husbandry you will find some pretty in depth information on the dynamics of their subjects - but you also find the "treat by the callendar" approach as well. Not Everyone who is into this stuff has a burning desire to learn all that there is to know. They can still to it though.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b