Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Table saws / dado blades

I bought a used JET contractor saw (JWTS-10) off Craigslist for $100. New belt, blades, and throat plate and I was set. Paid for itself many times over in the last year and a half.

A good fence is important too. The direct drive saws advertise bigger HP numbers, but are REAL loud, and lack the torque to make dado cuts. Here is my old junker. It had the fence with it, when I picked it up at the PO's garage. He did not know it was 3 Ph when he bought it at a university of Ill. auction.

I have a Central Machinery 10" table saw. It is not a cabinet makers saw by any means, but I give it about a 7 1/2 on a scale of 10. Very little run out or wobble, easy to clean, fence is accurate and tight to about 1/64th of an inch on its own scale, but only runs to 11 inch and does not have a round bar. I use a tape measure, and a sample piece to set the width of a cut. the blade hole cover that comes with the saw leaves and excessive opening, so I made one from plywood that allows only the blade to protrude and I can cut any width with it. The protractor is not much to brag about, its guide bar is loose in the slot, so I made one of maple. I also made a sled that is much more accurate for angle cuts, having two guide bars instead of one. It will cut anything I have thrown at it so far, from construction grade pine to hard wood boards, with a carbide tipped blade. I made a wooden attachment for my shop vac to help with dust control and to avoid piles of saw dust under the saw body. for the price I think it is a good hobbyists saw, but who wouldn't drool over a top of the line Delta with an extended table? Oh, and I also like the light weight of this saw, and the ease of stowage when not in use.

If you are not going into business, it's hard to beat the ridgid contractor saw. It has a lifetime warranty. I use one and have never been disappointed. I have made 100's of boxes and other equipment.

As fad as the dado, I love my Freud 6" safety dado.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Thanks for all the insight fella's. I decided to buy a saw that will be one I can use for any scale and one that delivers consistently. I love my new grizzly table saw. It is building top of the line boxes and making it seem easy. Worth the money to me. Very easy to install the stacked dado and the fence is straight as a laser. Made 2400 cuts on it with the dado today. A pleasure to use.

The first table saw I purchased couldn't fit 3/4" stack so I had to do 2 passes to get the right width. Very time consuming. The only way I found a saw that had a long enough arbor that was affordable was to go on Craigslist. I found an older cabinet makers saw for like 200 bucks and it worked great. I now have a dedicated saw for making dado cuts because its a pain to take the blades on and off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12