Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mystery of Nuc absconding

Can someone explain the phenomena? Why do bee abscond or leave the nest if they are under varroa infestation. Isn't that contrary to the will to live?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Do they? I've never seen a colony of bees abscond due to varroa mite pressure.

I've seen sick virus laden bees leave the hive to get the disease away from the colony, which eventually leaves a hive with no bees and a little bit of brood. That's not absconding.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I've seen sick virus laden bees leave the hive to get the disease away from the colony, which eventually leaves a hive with no bees and a little bit of brood. That's not absconding.
    It begs the question of what causes absconding? I have to believe that if a colony was so sick that all the bees are infested there would be evidence of the varroa infestation. In the OP's first post there are no signs so what causes absconding? Is it more like CCD the cause hasn't been determined in two hundred years?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Sometimes it is pretty simple; the one I watched fly away had been knocked over by a deer and rained on after that. Week later away it went. Out the door, circle over the oak, and gone. Like others said, brood, food and a few confused bees left behind.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.