Default One Frame Brood + One 3# Package = ... success?

Hey ya'll...

Quick question that is pretty simple.

I'm banking on having about 10-15 hives come through the winter (In upstate NY). I ordered 10 packages (lots of reasons I did this over nucs... that is irrelevant right now) and I was wondering if you think it would be worth it to drop each package into a bee-less frame of capped brood?

I was watching a video by Michael Palmer and the point of not having any young bees to nurse the larvae and such from the new package... got me wondering if this would be a smart play. I know that a package will build just fine here especially with some feeding... but I assume this could give a pretty good boost if the other hives can afford it.

Thoughts?

Default Re: One Frame Brood + One 3# Package = ... success?

I'd give them some open brood because it will anchor them to the hive. Drifting and absconding has become more and more of a problem as the quality of queens keeps declining. A frame of open brood will do much to anchor the bees. I think that's more important. But if you have a frame of capped brood available as well, it would give them a quick boost of young bees. as would a frame of honey and a frame of pollen. If you give them a frame of honey, a frame of pollen, a frame of open brood and a frame of capped brood you almost have a nuc...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you must get packages i think putting in a frame of brood is a great idea. I usually do this to swarms i catch. It not only keeps them put but gives them a good boost that they will desperately need.

thats what I am doing to my packages. Even if is doesn't prevent drifting it would be really worth while in closing the gap between the first emerging brood and the older packaged bees.

1 frame should really help and if your colonies come out of winter good it should not effect the colonies honey potential

You didn't say the name of the package producer, but if they are reliable you should have an abundance of nurse bees in each package! Your idea is excellent, and you are certainly in an area with lots of forage for bees!
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

I like the idea of open brood. Maybe I'll try to be picky and find half and half frames. One side open and one side capped. That way It will give a broad range of ages. And... Hey Kamon! It's been a while.