Default New to post from Davis County Utah

Been searching the forum for a while. I was so new and with all the knowledge base here I never felt like I had anything to offer. I finally became a member last year so I could do searches for what I wanted to know more about. Still don't think I know enough to contribute much but I figure I should stick to forum rules and post here plus I may have a few questions in the future. My Spring and and Summer passion is Bees. My fall and winter passion is duck hunting (before duck dynasty was around) and ice fishing. Believe it or not The Great Salt Lake is a prime flyway for many migratory game birds and the marshes are an awesome place to hunt. Great pass time when I am not able to do anything with the hives. My year round passion is my family and they get most of my attention. I have 2 treatment free hives that made it through the winter out of 3. I plan on doubling them this year.
    Kyle

Default Re: New to post from Davis County Utah

Welcome to beesource, & congratulations on getting the majority of your hives through winter (almost). Everyone has something to offer here, sometimes you just have to search through the burr comb, and ulitmately do what you think is best for your bees and you.

Welcome to beesource. I'm a third generation beekeeper in Utah County and joined this forum last year. I quite enjoy hearing about all the different ways people keep bees around the country. Good luck on expanding your hives.

Welcome Kyle!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hello Kyle, nice to meet you ! Thanks for letting me come see your awesome beehives!

Welcome Kyle, I joined last week myself. Nice to find a fellow Davis County bee keeper. Anywhere close to Clinton?

Quote Originally Posted by warmbees View Post
    Welcome Kyle, I joined last week myself. Nice to find a fellow Davis County bee keeper. Anywhere close to Clinton?
    Fairly close, I'm in Kaysville. There are plenty of us in Davis County. You might have seen me if you are involved in any of the local clubs. Wasatch Bee & Weber Bee keepers associations. I have been trying to make my rounds on FB and in person. I just recently joined the bait hive challenge on FB and hope to catch a few swarms this spring.
    Teal, I always enjoy the company. Next step is getting some bees of your own so I can visit yours.

Thanks Kyle G for the links. I knew about the association in Salt Lake and Utah counties, but wasn't aware of any up North here. I caught a class at the IFA in Ogden, but the instructor never showed up. I'm not seeing any meeting times for 2014, other than the one mentioned about Jan, on the Weber site. Are they still active?
    Workingtosavetheworld1beeatatime:-)~ Researching winter loss prevention- 12 yrs, 2 recent - 10 Hives, WARMBEES.COM

Quote Originally Posted by warmbees View Post
    ... Are they still active?
    The association, yes. The website, not so much. They are active on Face Book. The meetings are held at Desert Hive Supply in Ogden every month. Just down the road from IFA. The next meeting is on the 27th of March.

What time?
    Workingtosavetheworld1beeatatime:-)~ Researching winter loss prevention- 12 yrs, 2 recent - 10 Hives, WARMBEES.COM

It is at 7pm. The one after that is April 24th at 7pm and its about bee sting therapy! I will definitely be there!

I've placed both on my calendar, thanks. I'm interested in the bee venom therapy as well, I've been using it for years with good results for arthritis. We have had much success over past 40 years with various instances of success in my family. As a teenager, I frequently had to fill bottles with bees for our own use, as well as other patients that showed up at our door. When we put my mother's RA in remission, at one point, her doctor called and asked why she quit coming. She replied that she didn't need him any more. The next day, another patient was at our door for bees! I filled his bottle countless times over the next decade.

Im sure they will talk about bees but their focus will be on making vanilla on the 27th?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle G View Post
    Im sure they will talk about bees but their focus will be on making vanilla on the 27th?
    Maybe they'll put honey in the vanilla! I'm going to try to leave work early that night and go, but I might have a class at the gym that I can't miss. Are you planning on going to that one Kyle?

Sounds interesting, and I am interested in finding others in the area to compare notes, so again thanks.