Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Texas beekeepers hives messed with.

Was it wrong of them to mess with those hives? Yes. But you actually have to admire them for their bravery and curiosity. It's clear that they meant no harm.
    Try it. What could happen?

They were lucky. I thought for sure that they would get stung. That part of where she got the top back on properly was nice. That's when I expected a sting.. one last little adjustment. I'm glad that it worked out.

From the looks of the trees, it had to be deep east Texas, maybe Nacogdoches. West of there could have been a lot more trouble.

They way she was so bold with them and the fact that she was so slow and deliberate leads me to think she has probably interacted with bees before. Definitely not scared of them.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Quote Originally Posted by virginiawolf View Post
    They were lucky. I thought for sure that they would get stung. That part of where she got the top back on properly was nice. That's when I expected a sting.. one last little adjustment. I'm glad that it worked out.
    I wouldn't say lucky. They needed a few stings. What they got was a lesson that they can poke around in someone else's hives with absolutely no negative repercussions. At least if they had gotten a sting or two they would have learned that maybe poking around in beehives isn't the best way to spend an afternoon and would leave other people's property alone.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

How did this video come into the possession of a beekeeper in Montana, and who owns the apiary?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McCarty View Post
    They way she was so bold with them and the fact that she was so slow and deliberate leads me to think she has probably interacted with bees before. Definitely not scared of them.
    Did you listen to the audio? Slow and deliberate? She had no idea how to open the hive. Had to figure out by accident how to get the cover off.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

An interesting expose' on the psychology of teenage girls. One the instigator - "do it! do it!", the other the mug / herd animal, allowing herself to be led in what could be dangerous territory.

One thing for them, after having a look they made sure to put the lid back on properly, I can think of some teenage boys who would not have bothered.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Hah! Same memories here...we used to catch bugs and all sorts of creatures...I had the bright idea of capturing "a bunch of bees from Grandpas hives". We took our jars and I, beeing the brave one, slammed it down over a bunch of bees out front on the front board and proceeded to get swarmed by stinging honeybees all over my head and arms...back then epsom salt was the cure for everything. I kept away from those hives for a long time! :-)

Another thing that struck me as unusual for Texas, was that there seemed to be no concern about trespassing. Maybe these people were kin to, or visitors of, the land owner. Trespassing in Texas is punishable by large fines. And as someone has stated, if that is Texas, it is East Texas, because that landscape is not found in abundance in Texas.

In the depths of her heart, it is a considerate girl or girls. She's reckless like most teenagers, but she will probably mature into a good citizen. It was a dangerous stunt, but it gets back to "let him without sin cast the first stone" things. Youth is, and always has been, a bullet proof age.

Lazyshooter, I agree wholeheartedly...those teenage years were surely reckless , there is a lot of room for forgiveness there...even in Texas! ;-)

Boys are more destructive than girls. If that were boys, they would have done some damage to see how the bees would react. Maybe pushed a hive over or thrown stuff at one till they got buzzed.
    "I mess with bees not for the honey, but in order not to have played golf."

Town of West Monroe, Oswego County, New York, USA

Does anyone else see potential future beekeepers?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12