Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Too Tall? - Stacking Supers to Silly Heights

What I've been told is that if you have too many supers and the bees are spread too thin, they can't corral small hive beetles. So if you have seven honey supers and they've only got a scattering of bees on them, you're setting yourself up to turn an awful lot of honey into slime.

Our plan is progressive harvest, pull frames off as the supers fill, and we're thinking of sticking to two supers max and see how that goes. But if you do have three deeps of brood and a thriving colony when honey is flowing, and can keep the frames crawling with workers, or if you have SHB knocked down to nothing, that's probably the real criterion.

In happier days when I was young and had bees on big fields of conservation reserve acreage, I supered off the truck and built boxes all night. I extracted in my spare time. Sometimes they got real tall and I sure wish I would have got a picture of one 9 deeps high with bees hanging out of the upper entrance. Like the man said, it is a lot of work to make a show and with fuel costs, who would find it worthwhile?

Thanks guys. I have always added boxes in succession, not knowing any better, and I think I will try throwing them all on this year. That would be assuming I have a colony that survives the winter.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Acebird:

There's a lot of prep work/factors involved in getting to the point where putting on extra supers makes a difference.

As Tim was explaining, part of it is getting an extra brood cycle before the main flow.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Credit is a funny thing... That "Mountaincamp" fella gets all the credit for something beekeepers were doing for 50 years before he even laid his hands on a hive.
    Most quotes are credited to ANON - whoever s/he is?
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    What I've been told is that if you have too many supers and the bees are spread too thin, they can't corral small hive beetles. So if you have seven honey supers and they've only got a scattering of bees on them, you're setting yourself up to turn an awful lot of honey into slime.

Our plan is progressive harvest, pull frames off as the supers fill, and we're thinking of sticking to two supers max and see how that goes. But if you do have three deeps of brood and a thriving colony when honey is flowing, and can keep the frames crawling with workers, or if you have SHB knocked down to nothing, that's probably the real criterion.
    How does a hive of 40-50# of bees filling 7 supers drop to a scattering of bees? I see more SHB after the nucs vs supered hives. Even if they swarm, can't tell till the second round of pulling honey and will have a higher 3rd round.
    As soon as supers are capped, they get pulled, extracted and back on within 3 days. Them boxes get extracted several times in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ives View Post
    How does a hive of 40-50# of bees filling 7 supers drop to a scattering of bees? I see more SHB after the nucs vs supered hives. Even if they swarm, can't tell till the second round of pulling honey and will have a higher 3rd round.
    As soon as supers are capped, they get pulled, extracted and back on within 3 days. Them boxes get extracted several times in a year.
    If you have that many bees, fine. I just meant that if you have one middlin' brood box and suddenly slap 7 honey supers on it, things are gonna look a bit lonely in there. The strategy I've been taught is to size the hive so the frames are all well-patrolled. Don't get too far ahead of the population. Don't get behind it, either, unless you like going around and collecting bees in buckets.

In business these days they've stopped saying "downsizing" and started calling it "rightsizing".

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought SHB seek out the pollen and honey which is stored in brood comb, the honey supers shouldn't be a problem when they are empty, as the colony population expands and starts filling the supers there should also be enough bees to cover these supers they are filling and provide protection from the beetles.

As yet I don't have SHB so I am just offering an opinion based on deduction with no experience on the subject.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A