Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to ask "monsanto foundation rep"

On Tuesday March 4, 2014 the local Agriculture people are getting together for our monthly Ag Breakfast. One of the guest speakers is from Monsanto Foundation. I would like some help on gathering some questions to ask.
    I want to see if this person will answer some of the tough questions when it comes to poisoning our bees and what Monsanto is doing to help with the problem.
    BEES ARE NOT AN OPTION

Default Re: What to ask "monsanto foundation rep"

A Monsanto Foundation rep will most likely not have the information you are looking for.

Their primary concern will be to make Monsanto look good by giving away money, etc.

About as close to accusatory questioning as I'd get is "There is much concern over GMOs and Ag Chemicals and their effects on the environment and human health. Will you share with us how Monsanto is addressing these types of concerns - especially situations where anecdotal evidence accumulated by beekeepers and others contradicts scientific studies?"

If you go in with body language that proclaims a Monsanto is Satan attitude, I have a hard time imagining a Monsanto Foundation rep engaging in discussion with you.

Do some research about what products Monsanto does and does not produce. There is lots on the Internet that is not true (surprise!) and you'll want to show that you are someone with the intelligence to think for yourself.

This is a question of tactics, not any beliefs you may hold as to the wholesomeness (or lack-thereof) of the company.

What Monsanto products do you think are poisoning bees?

You could ask them if they have any bee-friendly products in the pipeline.

Tom

Good Luck getting a rep to answer anything about them or their products. I would ask why a company like them has to have many members of the USDA on their board of directors and their payroll. Again good luck getting them to say anything. Especially the truth.

Don't waste your time they have an Army of lawyers and have already practiced answering any question you may come up with. Watch as others ask hard questions you will hear the same rehearsed answer every time. If he quotes reviewed studies published in reputable journals just ask who funded the study.

one of the few things that has been good in the last several years is the "sunshine act". It forces speakers to revel the sources of payments they have received, and I THINK sources of funding of quoted studies. Now a foundation rep is giving away money, so he may not be the right one to go off on. Personally, its not my style to attack people, their jobs, or companies. As beekeepers we need to realize companies, and government work off study's and research. If we want to be heard we need to organize, do the legwork, and get it in print. Then you can get listened to, but at that point you are going against the 'established" scientific community. While science is said to be open, if you propose something different you will be open to ridicule. In logical argument its called a reductio ad absurbum- reduce the other persons argument to an absurdity, and you don't have to prove your side. Example is the proposal a few years ago that dinosaurs were warm blooded, since snake, crocodiles, and alligators are cold blooded, how can someone even suggest that the are cold blooded, because evolution suggests only cold blooded. Get my point, I hope as I tend to ramble

which rep is coming out to talk with you?
    Actually Monsanto is not the "great evil" of the world. One might ask oneself how it would benefit Monsanto to kill all the bees off! I am not saying they are the great white hope either, but how many people have actually honestly and with an open mind delved into what they are doing, and not just reading what we are being fed by the local and national news. As if they they would be honest and unbiased!
    I have Jerry Hayes scheduled to give a talk to our Bee club and after reading who is he, what he does, and how he writes, as an author in ABJ, I am happy to have him share what is being done. I personally refuse to be a Lemming and just follow blindly without research of my own.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." year 3, 12 langs and 2 top bars
    www.4cornersbeekeepers.com

o man that would be a hard atmosphere for me to keep biting my tongue at ! id be like a protester thrown out of a presidential primary hahaha.

my question : "why does Monsanto,Pfizer and Bayer hate bees ? "

Quote Originally Posted by TWall View Post
    What Monsanto products do you think are poisoning bees?
    So much this.

Please do not spread the "GMO's are going to rape our women and sell our children into slavery!" nonsense. I assure you any Monsanto rep is sick to death of hearing uneducated hicks spouting off third hand "information" they got on the internet that is complete bunk to anyone that actually has done their homework and researched what is actually being done.

Now don't get me wrong, Monsanto's business practices are atrocious, but their heavy handed business tactics and the safety of their products are two very different things.

If you must bring up GMOs, do yourself and your group a favor and actually look up *EXACTLY* what is being done. As in, get someone with an actual biology degree to help you understand what is going on. Don't just go in there waving around GMO boogymen. Its a waste of your time and his.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

if you must bring up gmos, do yourself and your group a favor and actually look up *exactly* what is being done. As in, get someone with an actual biology degree to help you understand what is going on. Don't just go in there waving around gmo boogymen. Its a waste of your time and his.
    exactly!!!!

Don't be one of these people.
    1618543_10203551737013869_1331995494_n.jpg
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

I would say that you are lucky to have a Monsanto rep go to your Ag Breakfast. The fellow might be a nice guy just doing his job and aware that he may have some people that don't like his company's practices. You catch more bees with sugar water than vinegar. I like the way Tom phrased a question.
    "I mess with bees not for the honey, but in order not to have played golf."

"What will the mark of the beast really look like?" "Is it really that hot down there"......Just kidding. I get to spend quite a bit of time with a monsanto consultant, it's hard to argue with most of his answers. justin

Just don't make it into a lynching; that will accomplish absolutely nothing. The Rep is just a Rep giving information and promoting Monsanto products; there's nothing he can do to change the product line nor change the chemical composition of the products. Bee pleasant, and learn.

I would ask about foundation plans and programs to assist beekeepers -- what they offer today and also to be a voice of the beekeeping community to lobby for more. Not just honey bee research but grants and funding to help commercial startups, hobbyists, educational programs, etc. Glancing at their website, I see they already offer rural education and programs to get kids gardening . . . what about more specific programs to aid beekeeping?

May be too late for a question addition. One thing that bothers me about trials in testing the pollinator safety of pesticides is that they simply feed an adult bee the active ingredient and find an LD50. They compare this amount to the amount that the bee will likely encounter in the field. No research ever seems to be done on the actual end product including adjuvants, and how those field levels will affect a hive or brood once brought back to a colony. I'd like to know if Monsanto has plans to research new or even existing products in this way, by attempting to find effects of field levels of the entire product, not just the active ingredient, on brood and a colony as a whole, not just on individual foragers. If the rep doesn't know, may he/she could get back to you, and if the answer is no, could the rep take this suggestion back to the company.
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi

Just an update from this mornings Ag breakfast. The Monsanto representative attending the meeting, but, fielded no questions. The rep was a salesperson who was there to present a check to the local food pantry.
    I did leave some of the questions with the individual who brought her here, so maybe she will contact me and answer some of the questions.
    Thanks everyone for your help and interest in this thread..
    BEES ARE NOT AN OPTION

20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

I would like to know how the Dsrna research is going?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast