Default A break for us in dealing with SHB?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...new-invention/

http://www.beetlebaffle.com/

I have looked a bit and haven't seen a link to this so I thought you guys might want to see it.

I would love to hear some reviews.
    Last edited by jrbbees; 03-03-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Default Re: A break for us in dealing with SHB?

So it is just a alminum shim that they can not walk on?
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor those protected will never taste"

They fly, don't see how that will keep them out. That said, I'll try them if somebody says they worked for them....

I know that they CAN fly, and surely they do to enter the hive, but I'm not sure they are active flyers. In MI I haven'y seen hive beetles aside from a single one that can as a freebie in a nuc I bought from down south. So, i can't say for sure what they do, but on the youtube videos I've seen, i don't see them flying about. they seem to prefer crawing.

They fly. I speculate they spend most of the day outside the hive. I will work in the yard all day and sit down close to a hive at late sunset and watch all the hive beetles return from a busy day outside. Exhausted and easy amused, I have a 3' long 1"by 1" stick that I try to smash them with as they land.

They fly, like nearly all beetles. And fly pretty well. I havn't observed the ritualistic morning and evening flights, will start too look for that. I have seen them feeding on flowers

The beetles will climb the bridge comb that the bees build.
    Last edited by Waggle; 03-04-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Observations on comments:

They do fly that is not in doubt. I think the real question in this situation is if they try to fly in the small space between the bottom board and the bottom of the frames. I doubt that they would try in the hive as they would greatly risk injuring their wings.

So, if they do not fly in the hive, they are limited to crawling which means that this barrier could work in reducing their crawling up into the hive. After all, this is the very same principle used in controlling termites. They can't crawl around the edge.

Crawling up the bridge comb: I agree that they can easily crawl up bridge comb but I find that bridge comb is most often placed between boxes and not between the bottom board and the first brood box.

I would look forward to hearing from anyone who tries this product. I do think the $16. price tag per hive is overly high.
    I believe I can make the same with some simple tools and a little care when I return to my bees in America.

FYI: I am not connected with the makers or sellers of the item. But I would sure like to hear some feed back from users of the idea.
    Old Guy in Alabama