Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cut out from behind plaster walls

Once again some great advice and a lot of things to think about. I have done a handful of cutouts before, I am no expert but I have done them both from the inside and the outside, this is just the first time I'll have to do a very controlled demo of plaster walls from the inside. The price is right. Regarding asbestos, I started asking a couple of folks in the know after it was brought up yesterday and most round here seem to think it was all horsehair. It doesn't mean that's right, but no one has really expressed concern about asbestos in plaster here and the certainly work with it a lot in my town. If I peel the asbestos away as suggested by Barry and others, it should minimize the dust. Of course a mask, goggles, and drop clothes go without saying. I think I'll also spray the wall pretty good before hand to try and get it wet. Not sure how much good that will do but it's worth a shot.

I know where the hive is, more or less. Like I said I found the very bottom of it by looking under the floorboards. I assume to goes up to any cross-stud in the wall, I just have no idea if that stud would be at the ceiling, or closer to the window or whatever. That's why I'll start just chipping away before I bust the saw out and go through the lath. I am hoping that by doing that I can locate all the studs, as well as any electrical infrastructure.

Here in Virginia we have had a very cold winter like many of you, and the bees in my managed hives only just started brooding up. I expect the hive to be low in population. I will try to open a window but like I said I think they're sealed. I'll just get the ones that congregate there periodically. Thanks to all of you once again for taking the time to answer my questions!

I previously owned a house in Seattle that was built in 1943 as part of a large development (reportedly related to the nearby presence of Boeing). Those houses were built with "knob and tube" wiring. In 1993 I wanted to blow in insulation into the exterior walls and discovered the original wiring was still in use. Typically, one of the two bare conductors was in one stud cavity, and its partner wire was was in an adjacent stud cavity. The walls were lath and plaster.

I ended up rewiring the house before adding the insulation.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hello all. I did the cutout today, it was more or less straightforward and I got paid so no complaints. Two things are worth mentioning in this follow-up: the walls were made out of concrete (yes! or at least some kind of very hard rock-like substance, I've never seen anything like it. It possibly went in in the 1920s, ten years after the house was built and the covered porch was walled in. It was covered wiith a thin plaster veneer and no lath) and I think the hive was queenless, although very populous.

There was a stud running horizontally about three feet up the wall, that was the upper boundary, and as expected, the two vertical studs were the other boundaries. After pounding away the two inch thick rock, I used a small circular saw to cut away two boards and found the hive. There were 7 combs, about 30" long or so, I reckon. There were plenty of bees, a decent amount of pollen and honey, but curiously, no brood whatsoever. I used the vac at the very end, everything else I cut out by hand, throwing out a lot of old comb. I never saw the queen, and that combined with the total absence of brood (my managed hives all have at least a couple frames of brood) leads me to think they had lost her at some point. Kind of disappointing but oh well.

I put the comb I cut out with all the bees in a small outyard. I figure if the queen did somehow get either cut out or sucked up without me seeing her, she's in there and all will be well. Otherwise, they'll find their way into queenright hive and one way or another all's well that ends well. IMAG1786.jpgIMAG1787.jpgIMAG1797.jpgIMAG1807.jpgrachel01.jpgIMAG1812.jpg

Sawzall would have been slow work. Thanks for the pictures. Too bad no brood.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Nice work & pictures. Must have been a queen in there somewhere, seems like a lot of bees for no your highness. Perhaps a newly mated one, or one who just began laying? No eggs or larvae? Nice job missing that orange line. Was it electricity? How long into cutting did you identify it was there?
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat :)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

No eggs or Larvae whatsoever. Today they are kind of acting like they're at 'home' in their new box and they are clustering together, maybe she is in there.

That orange line is an electric wire that runs up to the socket pictured. I figured it was there from the beginning, the power was shut off at the breaker and by the third comb I could feel it 'tugging' as I pulled them out and by the fifth comb it was totally visible and I had to start cutting around it. A fun neat job. Just nervous about the queen because I pretty much always find her.

For anyone interested, I posted a much larger and nicer photoset (taken by a very talented photographer and not my cellphone!) on my beekeeping facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2096219&type=1 Anyone can view it, you don't need to be a member of facebook.

Not much stores in the comb I could see, maybe why queen was not laying. Expanded metal lathe behind the concrete?

Looks like some heavy duty work getting to the wood lathe!!! Good job, AChabot!!! Hope the queen turns up. I had a small swarm that I started into the winter with...went through the colony a couple of times (small population of bees) and did not see the queen. Went into them a couple of weeks ago figuring there wouldn't be much to them if they were even still alive...comb drawn out to the sides of the box, packed with honey, pollen, and brood!!! Don't give up, yet, she could just be laying low till better times!

Ed

Hey thank you Intheswamp for the compliments. I also hope the queen turns up, Saltybee you may be right. Today they are acting like they are 'at home' so I'll crack open the hive in a week or so and see if I can't find her. I'll let yall know.

You can always give them the brood test, if they do not start cells pretty safe bet Q is in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12