Default Buying a Queen and Workers

Hi All, I'm Ed, from Oak Hill FL, and I just ordered an "Ozark Cedar Hives" 10 frame, 4 medium super, Cedar hive, and I was wanting info about what species queen and worker to buy online, and have them shipped to me, thanks, Ed

Default Re: Buying a Queen and Workers

Welcome!

New beeks have a steep learning curve to deal with that first year, so I would strongly recommend you buy a local nuc—survivor or VSH if at all possible. That way you get some disease/mite resistance to help the bees survive while you learn AND you get a local beekeeper to ask questions of. And you WILL have questions! (Plus many package suppliers who ship are already sold out this late in the year.)

Good luck with this!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    Welcome!

New beeks have a steep learning curve to deal with that first year, so I would strongly recommend you buy a local nuc—survivor or VSH if at all possible. That way you get some disease/mite resistance to help the bees survive while you learn AND you get a local beekeeper to ask questions of. And you WILL have questions! (Plus many package suppliers who ship are already sold out this late in the year.)

Good luck with this!

Rusty
    Thanks Rusty, Ed

Welcome to Beesource!

I have no argument with Rusty's comments, but not everyone can find a local nuc. Nucs are more difficult to ship than packages (usually 3 lbs of bees + a caged queen). The most common packages are Italians.

Whether you choose a package or a nuc, time's a wastin'! Work quickly to identify a vendor with delivery dates open and get in line before they are all sold. Generally, expect to put down a deposit of 50% to secure your reservation.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!

I have no argument with Rusty's comments, but not everyone can find a local nuc. Nucs are more difficult to ship than packages (usually 3 lbs of bees + a caged queen). The most common packages are Italians.

Whether you choose a package or a nuc, time's a wastin'! Work quickly to identify a vendor with delivery dates open and get in line before they are all sold. Generally, expect to put down a deposit of 50% to secure your reservation.
    Thanks Graham, I ordered a Cordovan and 3 pounds of workers from Shamrock, none available till May 7, thanks, Ed

Edric,

Keep us posted on how your bees arrive. How are they shipping them? What happens if you get dead bees? Florida in May .... OK?

You might want to check the posts on here about their relationship with the unproven (scientific) snake oil product.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...light=Shamrock

Welcome Ed! Robert Craig will be your bee inspector when you finally have bees.
    The closest beekeeper group is http://beekeepersofvolusiacountyfl.com/ They meet the 4th Wednesday of every month in the Volusia County Agricultural Center Auditorium, 3100 E. New York Ave., Deland at 6:30 PM. They are a great source of local bees and information.[/FONT]
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thank you guys, I will check back with you all, when I get things set up, thanks again, Ed