Default Help! get bearing out of extractor........

I have a 9 frame maxant extractor. Got it out today to clean it up ( should have done it in aug.) Ha.
    Now i can't get the lower 1/2'' bearing out. I have washed it out with hot water and soap. Squrited it with wd-40 , and used a strong magnet on the cup and turned it upside. When pop it with a mallet it just knocked the magnet off. I filled the cup up with dawn liquid to soak over night. Will try again tomorrow. Any ideas ?
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Default Re: Help ! Can't my marble out........

The small Maxant extractor that I have uses a bushing rather than a ball bearing. You should use a food grade grease on them.I'm curious as to why you need get it out. Also you shouldn't use wd40 inside the extractor. It will contaminate your honey and take a whole lot of good cleaning to get it and the smell out.
    send a private message to Jake. He is MAXANT here on beesource. He is the source for all things Maxant and can tell you what to do. good luck.

I am trying to get it out to clean it and use food grade grease to get it going. The bearing usally just rolls out . When i get it cleaned up. I have honey to extract from four dead outs. To much honey to let go to waste. When i get it out i will then wash it out with soap and water. NO i don't lube with WD-40.

The concern is wd40 is a water displacer... So displacing it might be tough.

Did you put your extractor up without cleaning :-(

I wouldn't use wd-40 around food. It will destroy some plastics too.

[QUOTE=burns375;1067388]Did you put your extractor up without cleaning :-(

I wouldn't use wd-40 around food. It will destroy some plastics too.
    Yes i did not wash it up the last time i used it. There is no plastic envoled. I am taking it to the car wash to try hot soapy water clean the cup. The bearing usualy rolls out. When turned over.

Might just need to soak for some time with warm water.
    Ours usually falls right out, but we never put it away dirty.
    Also take it outdoors, & use the spray nozzle on the hose. That's how I lost a bearing a few years ago.
    Dan

Thanks Dan. I got it out.Lesson learned. Dan you were the only one that had a good idea,the rest wanted to critize my method. The car wash cleaned it nicely.

Not criticizing here, but honey should not be getting to the bearing the first placed. You may already know this but extract with the gate open so that honey does not build up and reach the bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms View Post
    Not criticizing here, but honey should not be getting to the bearing the first placed. You may already know this but extract with the gate open so that honey does not build up and reach the bearing.
    Gfarms. The only time i close the gate is when i am switching buckets. I don't know if honey got in the bearing or not .I don't think so. It was just cold grease that was holding the bearing in. I wan't get busy and not clean it next time. Thanks

I also was not criticizing. I suggested contacting Jake. I also wanted to be sure you were aware of the downside of WD-40. I know because I let someone put it on my sqeaking spinning wheel bushing and after several cleanings and re-oilings with olive oil, I can still smell it. It's not something I want on my handspun yarn, and would hate to see it ruin a good batch of honey on you.

Well??
    Did you get it out and what did you do to get it out?
    please!

To get rid of WD-40 use a propane torch and a quick pass over the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by efaure View Post
    Well??
    Did you get it out and what did you do to get it out?
    please!
    Efaure I got it out. I filled the bearing cup up with dawn dish washing lquid and let it soak over night. The next day i turned it on the side and hit it with a blast of water and it came right out. Then i took it to the car wash and gave it a good washing.

I did call maxant about a problem i was having with the set screw on the luv-joy coupler that would not stay tight. I was going to buy one local and replace it. Th lady told me she did not know the size because it had been changed and would mail me both sizes. That was on march 3. Man mail is slow.

Jake from Maxant is a member of the forum, send him a PM
    User Name: maxant
    Dan

Will check it out tomorrow and see what's up!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"