Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to plant?

Default Re: What to plant?

I don't know much about the niger seeds. Are they selling the Guizotia abyssinica niger seeds?

http://www.fabulousfinch.com/cart/pr...ed-184-21.html

Looks like somebody shut it down. If they are heat treated for obnoxious weed seeds will they still grow? The link said heat treated the seeds
    so that will not affect their sprouting rate?

And do the flowers look like this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    The American Niger Seed Co. no longer is in business. I have tried using niger seed sold as bird feed but the germination rate is very low. Does anyone have another source for viable niger seed? I am hoping to try some this year.... if I can find some.

I got mine already. They are invasive though.

You can still find them on the net if you know where. HINT: What are the 2 biggest online stores that you
    can do a search and order from?

The heat treated seeds from the store will kill majority of the viable seeds. So no good for growing.

Wilhite Seeds will sell live Niger seed. I bought 4 lbs for $7.50 per lb.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

I plant buckwheat for the deer and turkeys and quail. The bees love it and its a simple planting with quick returns. For my perrennials, I like white clover, sanofoin and alfalfa. G

I planted a 650 lbs of Hubam clover (thanks to the beesource people who pointed me to where I could find some). We will see how that goes. I've heard good things.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

650 lbs of clover................wow.............thats alot of acerage isnt it?

If I had a drill (too expensive) and that was all I was planting it would be about 7 to 14 acres (10 to 20 lbs per acre). But, alas, I only have a broadcaster and I also planted, trefoil, white dutch, white sweet, yellow sweet, alfalfa and hairy vetch (about 450 pounds of all of those put together) and I was planting 18 acres. To be honest, I probably have about 200 pounds left over (of all of that put together). I'll use it before the year is out though. So I guess I planted about 900 lbs of seed at about 50 lbs an acre.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519a4DPSTpL.jpg
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yeah, I broadcast my perrenials too, then cultipack for seed soil contact. I usually plant my perrenials in the fall. Have several spots I am working now for fall planting. Will plant a cover crop of annual such as buckwheat to hold the ground, keep weeds down and then till it under for fall plantings. Here the hot droughts we get in mid summer make it hard for clover to take a strong hold. In the fall they concentrate on their root systems and usually come out powerful in the spring and with proper care last 4-6 years at least.

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    Wilhite Seeds will sell live Niger seed. I bought 4 lbs for $7.50 per lb.
    Yeah, the niger seed is not invasive on further research. But the earwigs really like them. I have to plant
    them in gallon pots still they got the leaves and mowed off the top killing them. Many still survived though.

Potted one gal. niger seeds:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +