Default does a used queen cage attract bees in a swarm trap?

I have about 10 queen cages that in the past few years have had queens in them. Does a used queen cage attract bees when placed in a swarm trap? If so, I can add some of them to my swarm traps along with the usual comb and lemon grass oil. Thanks a lot,
    Stavros

Default Re: does a used queen cage attract bees in a swarm trap?

A swarm swarms with their queen . I would think scent from an old cage would be a deterrent .

But then why are bees attracted to queen-juice made out of crashed dead queens (soaked in alcohol)?

Quote Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
    A swarm swarms with their queen . I would think scent from an old cage would be a deterrent .
    I used queen juice (queens soaking in Alcohol) for swarm attractant so Queen smell defiantly attracts swarms. I wouldn't think cages have enough smell, but it wouldn't hurt.

Try it and let us know....... It is just so easy to use an old broom comb and a coupe drops of LGO. I will be waiting for a report.
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

I was in the process of shaking a swarm off a tree limb and the foragers/scouts coming back found a year old used queen cage in my beekeepers caddy.

I had three swarms land in the same tree in exactly the same spot over a months period of time last year. Being curious about the exactness of this location I started looking around for clues as to why. I found everything from leah lines to it is not really all that uncommon for a beekeeper to pretty much know on what limb of what tree a swarm might cluster. Some of the comments suggest that it is the odor left behind from the previous swarm / Queen that attracts the next swarm to that spot. Tossing out the extremes such a hokus pokus and random chance. I find this the most likely explanation.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

This queen shipping box from Velbert Williams had bees from my hives clustering on it for over a week last summer.

>Does a used queen cage attract bees when placed in a swarm trap?

Yes.

> If so, I can add some of them to my swarm traps along with the usual comb and lemon grass oil.

Yes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF