Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Am I the only one?

The one that ran rampant through my nephews was JK (just kidding) and was pronounced "jay kay". Which made me struggle with the desire to PS (pimp slap) them.
    Last edited by RiodeLobo; 03-12-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I don't mind the abbreviators as much at the posters who write endless paragraphs, or the posters who have to make their same point over and over again.

Cranky regards ...Don

texting in general irks me, why would you want to sit and type all of that junk when you can just dial the number and talk to someone? A recent example is I ran down to Nashville recently to pick up 100 packages of bees, on the way home I keep getting text's from people asking when I will be back, I would just dial up their number and politely explain to them that I was in a closed van with 300 pounds of stinging insects driving 80 mph to meet them at a pre arranged time and location and that I didn't feel that taking my eyes off the road and putting on my reading glasses so that I could take my massive fingers and try to push really small letters that I can barely see (not to mention texting and driving is illegal) was probably not in my best interest. When someone sends me a text with all of the little shortcuts in it I feel that its lazy on their part and I usually just wont respond at all. Maybe I'm just a butt, but that's how I feel.

I don't get terribly irritated in an informal setting. What annoys me is when people don't care about capitalization, punctuation or grammar. It's one thing to purposefully choose to take shortcuts, knowing that the form is wrong. It's another thing to not care and expect everyone else to not care as well. I have to check so much outbound correspondance because people think that everyone will be fine with poor writing skills. I actually had an employee write, "Pls get back to me asap" on a formal demand letter. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "They know what I mean". This, when he knew how to spell and structure it correctly. If it were a text message, fine but when it represents the company a higher standard is expected and required. People should know the difference.

Now numbers, that's another story. My worst two subjects in school was arithmetic!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

hemichuck,

You & I must somehow be related. I couldn't have said it better myself. Texting should be ILLEGAL! I'm not going to get on my soapbox, but I despise texting. JMO
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I saw it on some kids educational program on Nickelodeon one day. THAT was really irritating. Mostly I just find it frustrating as I can read at astronomical speeds when it's actual written English. I have to struggle to read that kind of shorthand. I usually just skip them and don't read them...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Not trying to keep this thread alive but we are merely witnesses to a major change in language & communication. This happens regularly and us older people always complain and fret about it but it language is dynamic and always in flux. Search for "the great vowel shift" to see what happened to the English language in the 17th century.
    Last edited by Snakejumper; 04-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.

I'm not sure that we're experiencing a change in language and communication as much as we're experiencing a loss of knowledge and motivation, which results in less of a need to be able to express complex ideas with words.

By nearly every measure, the post-Baby Boomer generations have been more poorly educated than the ones preceding them.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Fast recognition of words requires that the words are spelled consistently. I have no issues with changing the spelling to be more consistent with phonetics or any good reason. But inconsistency is not conducive to productivity.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12