Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I the only one?

Trying to gauge how prickly I am becoming as I age. Do posters that use short hand annoy anyone else? U kno wht I mean

Default Re: Am I the only one?

That's not shorthand, that's textitus, also known as lazy finger.

A setback for the written word.
    Regards, Barry

+1

It gets to me, too; writing is how you present yourself to others when you're not there. Sometimes, presentation is important. I occasionally see 'textspeak' in papers that my students write and when I do I stop reading and return for revision. I have also seen it in job applications, which might get set aside permanently if the qualifications aren't there.

I just realized that I am turning into my parents.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

I'm not that old (32) but it also annoys me a bit. On the other hand, i type with three fingers and have speeling errors at a rate that is somewhat higher than I'd like. I rarely go back and correct them if the meaning is understandable. I can see how otehrs might not care for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemguy View Post
    I just realized that I am turning into my parents.
    Better than turning into your kids!
    Regards, Barry

But wouldn't you love to do it all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
    Trying to gauge how prickly I am becoming as I age. Do posters that use short hand annoy anyone else? U kno wht I mean
    Not I, said the Red Hen! Typing with one or two fingers on a phone (modern day), can take a long time and get complicated! OMG I kt belev he jst sed tat.

almost 34 and doesn't bother me on forums. I've been reading stuff online for 20 years. I read through typos, text stuff, auto correct etc. It actually bugs me more when people make an extra post to correct spelling (instead of using the edit function) or retyping the word 3 different times to get it right (like in chats)

sure in a school or work setting you should write correctly. on forums. meh.

i could type with a black keyboard except for numbers. plus right click correct spelling is easy.

Not only is there fast food and high speed mail, now there is fast written word. It reminds me that I took typing on a manual typewriter. The word processor was the greatest at one point. We had white out to fix the typed errors. I am still getting used to touch screen. The shorthand of texting doesn't bother me but at points I have been confused by some of it. I finished school before the pc was mainstream so I feel fairly removed from how school would be today with laptops, ipads, internet etc. We had the teacher, the books, the library, and the students. Now there is a connection to so much more information. It appears that all of this has benefits and less beneficial aspects. I didn't know what I was missing in the past. I'm glad that I experienced the transition between the old writing methods and the new ways. I miss jukeboxes that played vinyl. I still like pencils and pens and paper and books but the internet in my pocket is great too and I can live with the new digital jukeboxes and HD televisions as well. ICR means I Can Relate. Internet slang

How about those that do this with phone number 8 six 4 nine two 3 seven 4 5 zero

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    How about those that do this with phone number 8 six 4 nine two 3 seven 4 5 zero
    that part is supposedly to keep spammers from getting your number. i hear sometimes it won't work because they find a way around it.

Spelling and writing were the two things I struggled most with in school. I'm sure if they tested for these 'disabilities' back then as they do today, I would have qualified for special aid. I graduated HS and moved on pursuing my interests. It wasn't until the early eighties that I discovered a tool that changed my life, the PC. No longer was I trapped with pen and paper, I could freely express myself and know at anytime I could simply delete or edit text as my thoughts changed mid sentence. When I see 'lazy finger' employed in written communication, I can't help but be reminded of how hard I've worked at overcoming a childhood learning disability in order to communicate well with the very tool others use carelessly or take for granted. To each their own, but I value the fundamentals of writing that I struggled to learn in my youth.
    Regards, Barry

Barry, it does not sound like a classical learning disability to me, one where the neurons of the brain are somehow wired improperly. It sounds more like a phobia, perhaps one of making a mistake, or some obscure psychological thing. Your writing style is clear and succinct, not at all like someone coping with some form of dyslexia. But then again I can be wrong.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

It's the new generation (x, y, or whatever we are on now). It bothers me the most to see it on job applications. And, I am actually talking about professional career applications. Shame on any teachers that allow their students to turn in any assignments worded with such.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Barry, it does not sound like a classical learning disability to me, one where the neurons of the brain are somehow wired improperly.
    I guess I could go through the same testing my son went through when he was nine. He had virtually the same issues. Communicating orally was fine, but when thoughts had to be transformed into the written word, there was a block of sorts. He eventually found ways round it, as have I. I never could master cursive writing and to this day I print if writing by hand.

That's how much I've travelled!
    Regards, Barry

I'm not old, but it absolutely drives me batty! I use "lol" a lot, more than I should, probably! But I really do laugh a lot.

FWIW I find all these abbreviations irritating too. IMO it's just sheer laziness. ROLF!

>8 six 4 nine two 3 seven 4 5 zero

I wonder if that is to keep some kind of robot from stealing phone numbers for telemarketers or some rule about phone numbers on the place they are posting... I'm really not sure, but I'm sure someone knows...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Just wait, the real irritation is when someone uses it in conversation.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    But wouldn't you love to do it all over again?

In our minds, we are! It's just sadly that our bodies no longer keep up.....
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast