Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter losses

Default Re: Winter losses

Quote Originally Posted by Robbin View Post

I'm curious about your OAV. How many treatments over what time frame.
    I be leave I treated 4 times in AUG. and then one more time in OCT.
    This year I plan on doing alcohol washes all year and keeping a eye on all hives mite levels .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

1st year 20% losses, ppb.
    Last year had 60 % losses due to ppb and drought.
    This winter I'm down about 10% so far, but we had -9 degrees just 2 days ago, so winters not over yet.

Most of my losses are from late season cutouts and swarms, have about 40 hives. sc tf

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    That's a dramatic shift in one year period, and it appears to have been irreversible with large cell. What changed between 1995-1996?
    I would really really like to the hear the response as well. Seems like a shift in cell size might be a misnomer for contaminated comb? Switching to new comb might have done the same thing as switching to small cell.

I have one hive in trouble. Yesterday we reduced it to a 5 frame equipment (5 over 5). About 12 days ago I had inspected it and it was weak in comparison to most of my other hives. I cleaned off the bottom board at that time. yesterday the bottom board was covered with dead or dying bees.

For now I am suspecting robbing that we did not notice. We had left the entrance to wide open after the last inspection and I think I made them a target due to being weak.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

>That's a dramatic shift in one year period, and it appears to have been irreversible with large cell. What changed between 1995-1996?

Varroa destructor.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I couldn't take the suspense anymore and peeked in my Russian hive. In the 20s out there, but it was in the hot, direct sun, so I cracked the top and there were moving bees, so yay. Maybe that one will come through.

Then out of curiosity I cracked the dead Italian hive next to it, still that clump of dead bees on the top which I believe is the cluster, but did I hear noise or was it my imagination?

This waiting is driving me crazy.

Edit: Yup, later today still below freezing but in the very hot direct sun, the Russians were flying. Italians, no signs of em.
    Last edited by NewbeeInNH; 03-06-2014 at 12:09 PM.

got into one of my yards that I haven't been into, I call it my windy yard, I test out all my new breeder queens here. 7 out of 12 still kicking, but I can't tell the weight of them yet.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I lost both of my hives this winter. This was my first year as a beek. One hive was a small split which I did not expect to make it through. The other was a boomer that had a bad moisture problem in the hive and ran out of stores in January. Tough lessons learned

Got into 2 yards yesterday for the first time since December. All look good, I appears dead, All others were flying. Another yard doesn't look so good. But the wind was blowing by the time I got there and the temp had dropped so I really don't know who's alive there. Nuc yard is very poor with over 60% losses this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >That's a dramatic shift in one year period, and it appears to have been irreversible with large cell. What changed between 1995-1996?

Varroa destructor.
    I'm still stumped. Varroa spread like wildfire through the US in the 80's, and were documented as far north as Canada by the late 80's. How did you escape the mite plague on "large cell" for those 7-8 years until 1996?

Not being critical, I have all natural and small cell myself. Just curious about what appears to be a contradiction. Maybe you are just in a area so isolated that it took that long for the varroa to finally infiltrate.
    To everything there is a season....

>I'm still stumped. Varroa spread like wildfire through the US in the 80's, and were documented as far north as Canada by the late 80's. How did you escape the mite plague on "large cell" for those 7-8 years until 1996?

They say they arrived in North America in 1987. I just now tried to find out when they arrived in Nebraska. A quote from here says: "By 1995, Varroa was widespread, assisted by the distribution of queen and package bees as well as the movement of colonies by beekeepers for pollination and over-wintering (Wenner & Bushing 1996)

http://data.daff.gov.au/data/warehou..._lr_v1.0.0.pdf
    which seems to be referencing this:

http://www.beesource.com/point-of-vi...united-states/
    I wish the map was included... I can't seem to find the article on beeculture.com.

So, I don't know when they arrived in Nebraska but it could have been as late as 1995. I was totally unaware Varroa had arrived as I quit reading the journals years before and just kept my bees in the backyard. Most of the 80's I was in the panhandle of Nebraska. The late 80's I was in Eastern Nebraska a few years and then in the early 90's, Laramie, WY, and Brighton CO. I lost some in Laramie, but it was -40 F that winter for two weeks and I just blamed the long bitter cold. It's possible it was Varroa as I had no idea about Varroa. But I'm guessing it was the cold. Then back to Eastern Nebraska. That was when I first noticed losing a hive with no reason I could ascertain. After that (1999) I moved out in the country to the place I was living until recently and was losing them to Varroa there. In August of 2012 I moved to my new place. I doubt all of these places were that isolated...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They were probably like most of the U.S., couldn't pick Nebraska out on a map.

I lost nearly 70% of 16 colony apiary last year. This year I have 0 loses of my 8 established colonies. I did lose one feral colony that was still in the bee log waiting to be cut out. I tried OA dribble to clean my top bars in late November.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    This is my first winter. When can one breath out re winter dead outs? Is there a magic ambient temperature, a magic amount of brood or with experience does one "just know".
    I wondered that for the first couple of winters too. This year, it donned on me, what seems to be the correct answer. The day you see young fuzzy bees orienting in front of a hive, is the day you know that colony is now moving on from the old winter bees, to the youngsters from this years crop, and fresh young bees will be foraging shortly. I keep an inspection sheet for each colony, and starting this year, that's the cue I will be using to mark 'survived' onto that colonies inspection sheet.

That says it as well as anything. A date is silly.

Were those young fuzzy bees I saw flying around the hive yesterday, or were they old wrinkled bees?

I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    Were those young fuzzy bees I saw flying around the hive yesterday, or were they old wrinkled bees?

I'm not sure I could tell the difference.
    I looked on the landing board...fuzzy bees...yeah!
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    I looked on the landing board...fuzzy bees...yeah!
    I saw them freshly emerged on frames inside a couple days ago, but have not seen them orienting out front yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123