Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter losses

Default Winter losses

What is the most winter losses you have had in any given year?
    Mine was last year I lost the total of 9 out of 19.
    Hopefully this year will be better so far 6 out of 25 and it's still crazy cold in these parts.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Winter losses

Going into cold weather, what was the condition of those hives that eventually failed?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    What is the most winter losses you have had in any given year?
    the first year of T.Mites, lost 50%, can't remember how many hives I had back then but sure was a wake up call.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

8 out of 9 in one yard. And the sole survivor wasn't worth a nickle.
    It was my first attempt to go TF and I was planning to split from the resistant survivors ... didn't have any.
    To everything there is a season....

This year out of 16 we lost 2 in Jan. maybe 2 more in Feb.,not sure yet.We didn't have a good cleansing flight day in Feb. Won't be as long as it has been.

All are still cracking TF. 1 may not make, or will be tiny come spring.

Heading out in a bit to confirm, knock on wood, before the last snow storm of the season hits. They're saying 1/3" of ice, I think mostly rain for us, then maybe some sleet with snow in morning. Will be rough for for those folks up north a few hundred miles.

Won't be able to tell about this year until April, maybe June.

I lost one this year (my only Pol-Line queen!). This is my first-ever winter loss. Before this I kept bees in Florida. Never lost one there to winter--lost a bunch to hurricanes, tho, and the last year I was there, I lost the whole kit-and-caboodle except for the concrete blocks they were sitting on. Not even a bit of comb survived that one!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

This was my first winter, so not a lot of history. I took 4 into winter and I just cracked the tops last weekend. There was good movement in 3, so I believe that I lost 1. It just snowed today, so I may not get into them for a few more weeks.
    Clay
    BlakelysBees.com

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Going into cold weather, what was the condition of those hives that eventually failed?
    It was my 3d year and I had made splits and was trying my hand at making queens and it all got a little overwhelming and I am not sure what was queen right and I was trying to be treatment free and I had VARROA every where .
    This past year was a lot nicer I treated with OAV and all my hives where queen right with 2013 queens. And me I am a lot smarter then 2012 I think thing are starting to get easier . This will be my 5th year and I am self thought so I am still learning.
    But this is my second year I have not had to buy bees.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    This will be my 5th year and I am self thought so I am still learning.
    I think whether you are self taught or have an active mentor....if you have a passion for beekeeping you'll always be learning.
    Congratulations on your successes!
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Last winter, my third year, 4 survived out of 21 - drought, followed by nasty winter, with not enough winter prep. I had a job at the time that was sucking me dry, one of those where management is always telling you that things will be better "real soon now" and I finally woke up and realized I was the second oldest employee they had at six months in. I have a great job now, and so far this winter, things are looking better, even with this harsh, long stretch.

JC

This is my first winter. Two hives on small cell, treatment-free. Both doing very well so far.
    Miha
    Northern VA

I have Lost four out of thirty. All four in the same yard and all are chock full of honey.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

This was my first winter with bees. Hive was weak going in due to requeening, had to reduce it down to 5 frames and fill the extra with hard foam for winter, was preparing myself for the worst.

But they made it through like champs and are apparently already building comb and rearing brood.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

2 colonies - one starvation ( my beginner's mistake - smaller colony and in last strike of cold were separated from rest of food on other frames); second I shake out when weather got warmer - laying workers , sad it was one of the strongest going into winter with 18-20kg of stores and plenty of bees.
    Last winter - none ( of 29), this winter till now none ( of 47)..
    Forgot: continental climate, Europe..

Goran how is the winter in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Goran how is the winter in Europe?
    How to say, usually we have cold winters with plenty of snow ( temps in winter goes sometimes around -20Celsius). But recently that is changing rapidly - we get warmer winters than we used to and with much much less snow than normal. This winter for instance temps I think weren't below -15Celsius. Also fruit trees started to bloom about 30 days than normal. Periods when bees didn't go out weren't long ( something more spring alike). Colonies started brood earlier then before ( mild weather). Colonies already start to build comb ( nectar available)- burr comb and simmilar. Heavy loads of pollen - bees never had such good weather for gathering in winter. Seems to my short beekeeping experience that in this time colonies never were stronger. Forests are going into white, but not because of snow - cause of blooming of wild fruits ( wild plums), soon will start wild cherries..
    I think this all has something with climate changes.

I have fear for heavy droughts this year due to lack of snow, each year we have less and less water.

1 in 2 years. Lost a nuc about a week or so ago. First colony we have lost.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

This is my 5th winter and other than last year my winter loses have been zero I think. Summer 2012 I was too busy with work, and I neglected to insure nutrition during the summer dearth, didn't cull weak hives in Sept, and lost 6 out of the 14 over the winter. I'm a firm believer in keeping them fed year around.

No losses so far this year. Fingers crossed.

BTW, my bees have almost all been increased from 1 original package - other than some queens.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b