Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    olympia washington
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Not sure how to proceed

    cmonkey is dead right.... your in a bee yard, with what sounds like 10 or so hives. Thats a lot of scouts. I would just let them have at it. put a new box on they if the hive is beat up.... I agree those boxes look pretty darn good..... I guess i wont win the best looking hive award.... propolus does wonders for rotten wood, its the bee's gorilla glue

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dickson, TN
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Not sure how to proceed

    No, not in a bee yard. This old hive is on a farm that is 1.6 miles direct flight from my 4 hives and 2 miles from the other 5. No other beekeepers any closer that I am aware of. So we'll see what comes of it. Right now my plan is to get it up on blocks, shim it to make an 8 frame medium fit and see what happens. Split it later in the spring if possible.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Neodesha, Ks
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Not sure how to proceed

    When you get to the point of removing the 10 frame deep, if it is in decent shape you could cut it down to an 8 frame and add it to your equipment. Not having seen it, this is just a suggestion. Dale

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dickson, TN
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Not sure how to proceed

    Took the opportunity with the cold weather to move the old hive to a more level spot. Only moved about 3 feet. I put some leaves and sticks around all the entrances to help with reorientation even though I didn't move it to far. I think I will have to add some bracing around the bottom box of some sort before I start adding any more boxes.
    oldhive2.jpg
    oldhive4.jpg
    oldhive3.jpg

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dickson, TN
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Not sure how to proceed

    It was a nice day to work with the hive. I made a shim for my 8 frame. I used some partially drawn comb. Seemed to be plenty of bees. They are hard to see in these picture because in between the frames is so built up with propolis. I tried cleaning up some of it but they got a little angry and I didn't want to mess with their home to much. I plan to keep as is for the time being. I'll check in a week or so to see if the queen has moved up or not
    oldhive5.jpg
    oldhive6.jpg
    oldhive7.jpg
    oldhive9.jpg
    oldhive10.jpg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads