Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Not sure how to proceed

cmonkey is dead right.... your in a bee yard, with what sounds like 10 or so hives. Thats a lot of scouts. I would just let them have at it. put a new box on they if the hive is beat up.... I agree those boxes look pretty darn good..... I guess i wont win the best looking hive award.... propolus does wonders for rotten wood, its the bee's gorilla glue

No, not in a bee yard. This old hive is on a farm that is 1.6 miles direct flight from my 4 hives and 2 miles from the other 5. No other beekeepers any closer that I am aware of. So we'll see what comes of it. Right now my plan is to get it up on blocks, shim it to make an 8 frame medium fit and see what happens. Split it later in the spring if possible.

When you get to the point of removing the 10 frame deep, if it is in decent shape you could cut it down to an 8 frame and add it to your equipment. Not having seen it, this is just a suggestion. Dale

Took the opportunity with the cold weather to move the old hive to a more level spot. Only moved about 3 feet. I put some leaves and sticks around all the entrances to help with reorientation even though I didn't move it to far. I think I will have to add some bracing around the bottom box of some sort before I start adding any more boxes.
    oldhive2.jpg
    oldhive4.jpg
    oldhive3.jpg

It was a nice day to work with the hive. I made a shim for my 8 frame. I used some partially drawn comb. Seemed to be plenty of bees. They are hard to see in these picture because in between the frames is so built up with propolis. I tried cleaning up some of it but they got a little angry and I didn't want to mess with their home to much. I plan to keep as is for the time being. I'll check in a week or so to see if the queen has moved up or not
    oldhive5.jpg
    oldhive6.jpg
    oldhive7.jpg
    oldhive9.jpg
    oldhive10.jpg