Default NH syrup, better than VT's

It is sap season and the trees have started flowing on the days it gets above freezing... It takes a lot of sap to make syrup so it is precious stuff, and every year there is a contest between to old Yankees on either side of the river to see who can make the best syrup. After the sap run is over they meet in the middle of the bridge between VT and NH where both respective towns come out to taste and vote on the years winner. This contest has been going on for decades and as long as anyone can remember the win has gone to NH. It's taken a long time to solve the mystery and here, finally, is the reason NH makes a better tasting syrup than VT:

On the Green Mountain side of the river an old man is walking his sugar bush and collecting buckets of sap. However when he gets to one bucket he lifts the lid and finds a drowned squirrel in the sap. He looks at the squirrel for a minute and then peers over both shoulders to see if anyone else is around or watching. Finding no spectators he flips the squirrel out on the ground and collects the sap to be processed into syrup.

Now on the Granite State side of the river an old man is walking in his sugar bush and collecting buckets of sap. When he gets to one bucket and lifts the lid only to find a drowned squirrel in the sap, he looks at the squirrel for a minute and then peers over both shoulders to see if anyone else is around or watching. Finding no spectators he picks up the squirrel and rings as much sap back into the bucket as he can before tossing the squirrel on the ground and then collects the sap to be processed into syrup.

Default Re: NH syrup, better than VT's

That could be why Indiana syrup beat both VT and NH's syrup, We boil the squirrel with the sap by lunch he is good and tender. Maple glazed squirrel.

Birdman I agree. However, with the current temps here I don't think my taps are going to produce this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    That could be why Indiana syrup beat both VT and NH's syrup, We boil the squirrel with the sap by lunch he is good and tender. Maple glazed squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Broglea View Post
    Birdman I agree. However, with the current temps here I don't think my taps are going to produce this year.
    I didn't put a tap in this year, I told my dad early I thought it was going to be to cold. Good luck with what is left of the season. Pat