Default Wintergreen for verroa

How effective is the wintergreen and canola oil mixture for verroa? I was told to mix a 16 to 1 ratio, oil to wintergreen. If there is a heavy infestation could you strengthen the mixture? Say a 10 to 1 mixture?

Default Re: Wintergreen for verroa

I have heard this works. I also add lemongrass oil and spearmint to everything I feed. Spearmint is supposed to do the same thing.

Does adding spearmint and lemongrass oil to your sugar water help keep mite and SHB populations down?

Do not succumb to the stronger is better mythology. When using unknown to you recipes always go slow. Wintergreen in syrup is hard on mites and I have read that spraying on the oil is a good thing but have never sprayed the oil. Go slow. Spearmint is intended more for tracheal mites which I don't think are a problem anymore. I have used successfully a fatbeeman recipe that calls for 15 drops of wintergreen, 10 drops of spearmint and 5 drops of lemongrass oil per gallon of syrup. I put a pint of syrup in an old no longer my wifes blender and add the appropriate amount of the oils and homogenize the oils into the syrup at high speed. That way the oil stays in solution in the syrup while it is being consumed. I feed it for a brood cycle only. Long term use of any of these nostrums and store sold snake oils is harmful in long term use.

The original studies were done at WVU and their results can be found online at http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/varroa2.htm. If you poke around on that site you can find a good bit of info on the theories and results.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Great webwsite.....thanks Rusty.