View Poll Results: Are nails/staples alone enough for assembling frames or do they also need glue?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nails/staples alone are good enough to hold my frames together

18 22.78%
  • I think nails/staples AND glue is required to keep my frames together

60 75.95%
  • I ONLY use glue!

1 1.27%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Are nails/staples enough for frames or do they also need glue as well.

Ray, you are outdated. The pull strength of a staple far exceeds a nail driven with a hammer.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Are nails/staples enough for frames or do they also need glue as well.

I think the relative 'strength' of a nail vs staple depends on the diameter and length of the nail and staple being compared.

Certainly a 3/8" long staple has much less 'pull strength' than 2" nail. Also nails come in varying designs. A ring-shank nail is much tougher to pull than a smooth nail of the same size.

I do use staples plus Titebond in assembling both boxes and frames.

Don't forget the glue!
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander co View Post
    I
    I see on the web sites, in the US are in use 1-1/4"x16 nails. I know what is meaning 1-1/4 ~ 35 mm, Thanks a lot.
    Thanks everybody. I am intersted by this: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/678/, Item nr 678 . More exactly, what size of diameter has it, in inches.
    It's a Long Way to Tipperary

Those size wire nails are usually 16 or 17 gauge, which is 0.051 inches (1.291 mm) = 16 gauge, and 0.045 inches (1.149 mm) = 17 gauge in diameter. You'd likely need to check with the vendor (Brushy Mountain) to see which diameter theirs are.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander co View Post
    Thanks everybody. I am intersted by this: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/678/, Item nr 678 . More exactly, what size of diameter has it, in inches.
    If it is a 3D box nail it should be .o76 Dia (14 1/2 gauge)
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If it is a 3D box nail it should be .o76 Dia (14 1/2 gauge)
    But it is clearly NOT 14 1/2 gauge. Brushy Mountain states (see the link) that there are 1150 nails per lb. You can't do that with 14 1/2 gauge and 1 1/4" length steel nails.

I agree that Joseph Clemens likely has it right.
    Graham

You are right Dadant claims it is a 17 gauge nail (specialty).
    Brian Cardinal

Alexander - note also that the Dadant frame nails (and possibly the Brushy Mountain ones too) are cement coated to maximize holding power.

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=204
    Graham

I was working for some one else treating their bees for them they had the plastic queen excluders under there supers, pulled a lot of bottom bars off were the bees glued them to those excluders, wish they had been glued. not my stuff but sure does make a mess to try and work in. have a great day. I glue mine

I bet the owner wished you had picked the box up a tad and sheared off the burr comb before you pulled the frames.
    Brian Cardinal

I was trying to pick the box up when it was pulling the bottom bars off

It would be nice to have a pic of these frames and the condition they were under. This only happened when the QE was between the box?
    Brian Cardinal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123