Thread: New Beek here

Default New Beek here

Hello guys,

I am starting my first hive this spring in a TBH that I built and was wondering if there was anyone else here who is or has kept bees using a TBH in Alaska. If so feel free to give me some advice. Most of the BEEKS here in interior alaska use langstroth. Thanks

Default Re: New Beek here

There is a member named AkDan who started out with TBH. His first winter didn't go so well so he switched to Warre. There is a thread on his build on the Warre forum. I don't know how this winter is going for him, hopefully better!
    3rd yr - 1 KTBH & 4 KTBH nucs - TF - USDA Zn 6b

There was a post a couple weeks ago on top bars out of Canada using 2". Pretty reasonable design. I can't seem to find it as I am not that proficient using the search feature. Might look at it.

Found it:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...hlight=Calgary

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackotter View Post
    There was a post a couple weeks ago on top bars out of Canada using 2". Pretty reasonable design. I can't seem to find it as I am not that proficient using the search feature. Might look at it.

Found it:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...hlight=Calgary
    Thanks for the link, I had actually found this link myself and agree the design makes sense for my neck of the woods. I will probably start building it next weekend.

Chris, have you investigated how the locals winter their colonies there? Think I remember reading that many mostly bring in packages every spring as it is difficult to over winter colonies up there. Indoor wintering maybe something to look into or even a bee house with temp control.

Delta, everyone that I have talked to who keeps bees here bring in new packages every spring because it is very difficult to get the bees thru the winter. However, there are a few that do winter their bees. I have been thinking about trying to winter them inside my shop adding some type of temp control. Do you have any experience with this over there in canada?

I don't have any experience indoor wintering. There are some members on the board that do but I think most are done in Langstroth hives. I'm sure the same principals would still apply to the TBH. I think if you googled "wintering honeybees indoors" will give you plenty of stuff to read.

I think one thing I would try if I was in your shoes would be to make your bars, at least the ones over the wintering brood area, notch so the bees can have access above for feeding fondant or dry sugar in the event that they run low on stores through the winter.

This might be worth a read:
    http://mspace.lib.umanitoba.ca/bitst...The_Effect.pdf