Thread: New in MN

Default New in MN

Hello All,

My girlfriend and I are going to start two hives this year, this will be the first hives that either of us have done. Since we live in the suburbs we will be keeping them out at my grandparents house that is in the country on a lake with farm land around it. Right around my grandpas house there is alfalfa fields, wooded areas, gardens, apple trees and wild flowers. So I think it should be a good place for bees, another plus is that my grandpa use to raise bees a while ago so he has a little experience to pass down.

Default Re: New in MN

Welcome to Beesource! I used to live in Prior Lake, and worked for a while in Coon Rapids. Where abouts is the grandparents farm? I suspect that grandpa will be a lot of help with the basics, but a lot of new pests and parasites have become popular over the last couple of decades. So, listen to what he has to say, but maybe double check here just to make sure you're getting current info.

I live in Coon Rapids and my Grandparents house is just outside of Elk River on little twin lake. Yeah I figure he wouldn't be up on any of the new things but have enough knowledge to get us going.

Welcome to Beesource. Good luck on your new adventure in beekeeping.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to BeeSource!

Your bees should do well on Little Twin. There are several beekeepers within a mile or two of that lake and the bees seem happy!
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Yeah there is a couple of family friends that keep bees around there, they seem to do good. The only problem that I have heard is they are having a hard time wintering their bees.

Yup. Overwintering is tough. You'll want to keep an eye out for bear as well. I have several yards just North of there that were wiped out by a sow and two cubs in 2012. I added a solar fencer this past summer and had no issues.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Sounds awesome! Good luck and welcome!