Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Its been a cold windy winter

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    We have had snow and ice 3 times down here in east Texas. Which is insane! My question to you Canadians is what would you do if this is a start of a new ice age?
    We would probably hold a BarBque party. Canadians don't stop doing things outside until 2 degrees above absolute zero.
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Ia...tml?sort=3&o=1

That picture of the sun dogs, was taken on a -32 degreeC morning as I was driving my youngest kid down to school, as she missed the bus...

We only tend to see those sun dogs when she is good and cold. We have been seeing them almost daily this winter and some days its the whole ring!!!
    Man you can tell that's cold because the Sun dogs are really bright. I've noticed that the brighter they are the colder it is. If it's relatively warm and you see bright Sun dogs, get ready for some cold cause it's a coming.
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I put them in beginning of Nov, take them out end of March I hope
    What temp do you like to wait for before bringing them out?

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Ian, what month do you put the bees in the shed and take them out?
    Ian very optimistic about how early he can move them out, but then he does live in Miami.

For the last 10 springs I have typically moved my bees out around April 7 or slightly later. Twice I moved out in March; once in the middle and one at the end. Last year was incredibly late; April 25.

Which is colder - Sask, Manitoba, or AB?

How about tractors, trucks, bobcats etc... does one generally have a big heated garage or are dip stick heaters enough?
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Which is colder - Sask, Manitoba, or AB?

How about tractors, trucks, bobcats etc... does one generally have a big heated garage or are dip stick heaters enough?
    I think Manitoba is the coldest followed by Saskatchewan, that's from just watching the national weather so it might not be 100% accurate. I'm in the southeastern corner of Alberta and we have the benefit of Chinooks. Although we still will get -40 weather it generally doesn't last that long. This winter we have had it fairly easy and really cold weather hasn't lasted more than a couple weeks at a time. Mostly it's been around 0 Celsius or a little below that and when the polar vortex's have hit we have just been on the edge of it not smack dab in the middle like Manitoba. As for vehicles I have dip stick heaters and I haven't even used them this winter.

I think wintered hives often starve when stimulated too early to brood. This cold weather will ensure that won't happen. I've had my outdoor singles buried in snow since mid December. There is so much snow cover now that these severe winds should have no chilling effect on the hives. I do hope we get spring in April and not in May as we did last year. Over half survived last year with winter lasting until May so I hope we'll get 60+ percent make it this year. California packages would be nice, eventually they will be allowed to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Ian, in the picture it looks like they are wintering in a single medium box, or am I wrong?
    yup,all my inside hives are in singles
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Birds&Bees View Post
    There is so much snow cover now that these severe winds should have no chilling effect on the hives.
    Thats key, they will be sitting tight under that snow for sure!

have you checked in on how they are doing?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    My question to you Canadians is what would you do if this is a start of a new ice age?
    I was just reading an article recently that was saying while it has been a colder then average winter in North America, on a Global average it has been one of the warmest on record.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Allan Dick's pre spring inspection on outdoor wintered hives Feb 26/14 http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/default.htm
    Bees have survived several ice ages in Europe
    from CTV NEWS
    Published Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:55PM CST
    Last Updated Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:47PM CST

According to Environment Canada, Winnipeg hasn’t seen a winter this frigid in decades.

“This is the second-coldest winter in Winnipeg in 75 years,” said David Phillips from Environment Canada.

Only the year 1939 was colder.
    Related Stories

Deep-freeze poses challenges for home builders, some farmers in Manitoba

Photos
    Cold snap in Manitoba

While many are hoping for a warm up soon, Environment Canada said the March forecast for Manitoba looks to be colder than normal.

Since November, the city has seen 26 days of temperatures reaching below -30 without wind chill. In a normal year, Winnipeg would only see about 12 days that cold.

The last time we had a winter this cold was in 1979.

Winnipeg has also seen 50 per cent more snow than normal this winter.

While many are hoping for a warm up soon, Environment Canada said the March forecast for Manitoba looks to be colder than normal.

Read more: http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-...#ixzz2uUClNGx3
    Last edited by irwin harlton; 02-26-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Martens View Post
    Ian very optimistic about how early he can move them out, but then he does live in Miami.
    The way I see it, we have very little snow cover, other than the drifts in our yard. Once this cold weather shifts the fields will take about one week to blacken. The key is for the cold to shift... just think, this winter will be just a memory in a couple months,

We are on the back side of her boys!!

I listened to David Phillips with Adler this morning. David guaranteed that next winter would not be as cold as this one!! LOL I take it this winter is the high water mark! No doubt
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, I've taken my snowmobile to visit some yards, the snow was almost waist deep. This is the most snow we've had in many years. I did not want to disturb any hives nor did I want to damage the quincy protecting the hives. Spring or lack of will tell the tale.

You guys must have gotten more snow than we did here around Miami. Our fields have bout 6 inches at the most, but large snow drifts in the yards but thats due to this winters terrible winds.

Last year we had feet of snow as compared to inches this winter.

I'm bracing myself for a good old Montana Mauler to drop a bunch on us yet.

Walked the isles in the wintering shed today. The hives look to be content, but they usually do end of February. Now comes March... it seems our winter are just one month too long... and it is during March I start longing for the package hive days....

don't you guys agree? toss this wintering idea and focus on honey production! Our equipment will be in better shape without the mess of wintering, medications can be pretty much eliminated, work load spring and fall is cut in half, that tanker truck of sugar will not have to show in the fall,.... endless advantages!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I keep hearing that there isn't as much snow this year many parts of MB. Not true for eastern MB. We have more snow already than we would normally get in an average year.

With all the blowing the fields have very little snow and will turn black very quickly.

Cold here as well , another snowfall coming Monday around 15 cm. I hope that it is the last one !!

Does anyone know if the winter snow has any bearing on the growing season ahead ? I hear people talk on what they think it means, but is it a good thing to have lots of snow before spring ?

We have had some cleansing flights here and I was glad to see them, I have lost some hives this winter and probably won't be the end of it the way my luck is. I went through some deadouts and found lots of frames full of honey and pollen, but the amount of bees were very low and when they were put to bed for the winter, they were really full of bees. I have to get the hives really booming for next winter I guess, I didn't see any signs of diseases in the deadouts and the mite loads were low , I had a 1% average in the hives in fall.

I suppose it was just me missing something in the fall. I will just have to do better !
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I'm not ready to toss out wintering in favour of packages just yet Ian.

Spring work would be much less. Maybe half? My first year beekeeping I started with 200 packages and that was definitely a lot less work than working with wintered bees. I really enjoy the spring work but fishing is more fun. Fall work is about the same in my opinion. Cleaning up hives is a bunch of work too. I open feed so I no longer find this to time consuming.

For the most part I feel I don't need packages. I haven't purchased bees in 10 years (other than the 20 excellent hives I acquired from you, Ian, but didn't need - but that's another story) and have increased my hive count by 250% during those 10 years. One or two of the years I probably should have purchased some packages but things worked out.

From an economic stand point, wintering makes most sense to me. It cost me about $45 per hive to winter and maintain my numbers. Historically I've had a 10% surplus, so at $100 a package (which is probably the cheapest US bees will be when all is said and done) that reduces my cost by $10 to $35. Building up packages in spring I estimated would cost me $15 per package. Packages would need to be priced at $20 for me to break even. One has to go way back to find those prices.

Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

One of the commercial beeks here sells all his bees to a concern that comes in October and shakes them off his equipment. He said they pay him about half of what he paid for the 2 pound Packages in the spring. He puts together brood nests over winter and starts new pkg in mid April. Gets as good a crop as my overwintered bees, but I am splitting mine pretty aggressively.

(other than the 20 excellent hives I acquired from you, Ian, but didn't need - but that's another story)
    ha ha, I just figured you son flipped them for $100 profit and ran! lol
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I keep hearing that there isn't as much snow this year many parts of MB. Not true for eastern MB. We have more snow already than we would normally get in an average year.

With all the blowing the fields have very little snow and will turn black very quickly.
    We are in the South East corner of Sask. and snow is about normal maybe even a little less. Maybe all this wind is moving our snow over to you Allen.
    We are about the same as you when it comes to packages. We have not bought any for quite a few years now. We are just trying to raise our own from hardy stock. Now if we could just find sweaters for them we would have it made.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast