Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Govt to spend 3 million on bee pasture?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    So if the government actually handed out subsidies to beekeepers (as opposed to farmers, ranchers, and dairymen) that would be used to help improve the health and well being of honeybees, how many people on this forum would think this was a good practice?
    I don't think anyone said the above but you, eliminate all subsidies and don't start a new one for bees, and let the price of produce float to the proper level's.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Subsidies create an economic system for the "too big to fail".
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I don't think anyone said the above but you, eliminate all subsidies and don't start a new one for bees, and let the price of produce float to the proper level's.
    I am not offering an opinion either way.

I was asking if any forum members think subsidies that would actually go to beekeepers, and be used to help the bee population, would think this is a good idea.

Big commercial beeks wouldnt take the money if they could actually help the bees?

What about reaserach subsidies similar to WLC's STEM Scholar program?
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    What about reaserach subsidies similar to WLC's STEM Scholar program?
    Education benefits everyone. Is there waste in the educational system? You betcha. Should we support those that apply and not support those that don't? You betcha.
    Brian Cardinal

Maybe they are talking about restoring some of the prairie that was under CRP and been disked under for more corn.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    Maybe they are talking about restoring some of the prairie that was under CRP and been disked under for more corn.
    If you are going to restore something to its natural state all you have to do is leave it alone. You don't have to throw money at it.
    Brian Cardinal

I think the bottom line is: What can 3 million dollars do for pollinators that are spread out over hundreds of thousands of square miles of midwestern land? Answer: virtually nothing. It's more of a symbolic effort than a biologically meaningful one. Billions of dollars would be needed for meaningful biological impact, but the government has other, non-earth based spending priorities, like space telescopes and Martian land rovers.

If you define the natural state of the land as being the native pastures of years gone by I doubt that there was much in the way of bee forage contained in it.
    I have a 100 acre parcel of marginally productive farm ground that I chose to put in the CRP program about 5 years ago. I choose to sew in the native grasses like big and little blue stem, Indian Grass, and Needle Grass. We also mixed in some sweet clover and alfalfa. It took about 3 years for the grasses to get fully established. The sweet clover only bloomed the second year and hasn't been seen since. The alfalfa still blooms but it is getting progressively chocked out as well. In short, it's turned into a marvelous nesting habitat for birds but great bee forage it's not.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

blue diamond is correct. the cost to replace one road bridge today can be 3 million dollars. to throw 3 million dollars into a national program means nothing. just a talking point for slick polititions.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    If you define the natural state of the land as being the native pastures of years gone by I doubt that there was much in the way of bee forage contained in it.
    I have a 100 acre parcel of marginally productive farm ground that I chose to put in the CRP program about 5 years ago. I choose to sew in the native grasses like big and little blue stem, Indian Grass, and Needle Grass. We also mixed in some sweet clover and alfalfa.
    I think I know what the problem was.

Grass does tend to crowd out other things. Perhaps mostly wildflowers next time?
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

I have a 100 acre parcel of marginally productive farm ground that I chose to put in the CRP program about 5 years ago.
    question, around here the price paid for whip's, which is similar to crp hasn't gone up while the price per acre paid by dairy farms has gone up significantly, is that the case with crp also?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

In short, it's turned into a marvelous nesting habitat for birds but great bee forage it's not.
    Of course. Man cannot sow in natural habitat and that includes wild flowers. If left untouched nature will sow in what survives best on the land. In our area there will be a lot of trees and shrubs, grasses and wild flowers not necessarily the ones we want. It is my understanding that bees get the greatest amount of nectar from trees.
    Last edited by Acebird; 03-02-2014 at 05:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Of course. Man cannot sew in natural habitat and that includes wild flowers. If left untouched nature will sew in what survives best on the land. In our area there will be a lot of trees and shrubs, grasses and wild flowers not necessarily the ones we want.
    But this is the reason for the "throwing money at it". We don't necessarily have to sew in natural habitat or let the land revert on its own; we can sew in wildflowers we want, deliberately. It's the same proven theory that lets us plant and maintain a single crop in a large acreage field year after year - except simpler, because we don't have to plant in rows or till or weed. Just seed with clover or vetch or whatever tickles your tastebuds and every so often throw some more seed in.

Quote Originally Posted by melliferal View Post
    Just seed with clover or vetch or whatever tickles your tastebuds and every so often throw some more seed in.
    I think it is a lot more difficult then that. You have to take out what is there before you can sow in what you want. If you don't do a good job of taking out what is there you will have that anyway and the seeds you sew will just die.
    Last edited by Acebird; 03-02-2014 at 05:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Brian Cardinal

The word is "sow", not "sew".

Thanks to you guys I now have an image of a sweet little grandmother on her hands and knees with needle and thread in hand carefully stitching away in a midwestern field...
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I think it is a lot more difficult then that. You have to take out what is there before you can sew in what you want. If you don't do a good job of taking out what is there you will have that anyway and the seeds you sew will just die.
    Okay fair enough - so till the field once to begin with. Then just plant and reinforce the forage.

It doesn't have to be strictly wildflowers, either - somebody mentioned that bees love trees. Seed some basswood or locust or whatever is appropriate for your location.

It will take some effort, but I think the results will be worth it.

Did anyone read the article?
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

I wonder how much three million is after administrative costs are subtracted? Of course, there will have to be lengthy study on the environmental changes brought about by changing the vegetation. In the end, it will be less than three million by a bunch.

I contacted my area wildlife management officer for Texas, and he advised me to fallow plow my pastures in January. He said that fallow plowing would allow the sun to warm the ground deeper, and that in turn, would allow native grass and weed seed to germinate. Seeds that had been in the ground for decades. I did it, and I still do each January, and I now have more native grasses and wildflowers that ever before. It has made for a huge sunflower crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    The word is "sow", not "sew".
    So?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by melliferal View Post
    I think I know what the problem was.

Grass does tend to crowd out other things. Perhaps mostly wildflowers next time?
    A pasture left to itself will yield cedar trees, sumac,,thistles, shrubs, and grasses that really do not support bees. Agreed.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast