Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Govt to spend 3 million on bee pasture?

Dairy farmers and ranchers in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas can qualify for about $3 million to reseed pastures with alfalfa, clover and other plants appealing to both bees and livestock. Farmers also can get help building fences, installing water tanks and making other changes that better enable them to move their animals from pasture to pasture so the vegetation doesn't become worn down.

[/QUOTE]
    I don't see this benefiting bees. I see it as another money grab using bee hype.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Okay.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I don't see this benefiting bees. I see it as another money grab using bee hype.
    That was my point.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I live in MO and consider it to be the Mid West. Technically, the population center of the USA is about the center of MO. That means, people wise, the center of MO has the same number of people in all 4 directions as you travel. We are west of the Mississippi, everything on the other side is considered to be the Eastern US.

Most of the Midwest is farmland and produces the bulk of the corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, and grain sorghum for the USA.

This could be of interest to some.

Seems like $3M isn't very much for a program like this to have very much effect.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Thursday, February 27, 2014

GILLIBRAND PUSHES USDA TO REVIVE NEW YORK’S BEE POPULATION, STRENGTHEN FARMS

Senator Calls on USDA to Expand Pollination Initiative to New York State
    New York Beekeepers Lost 30 Percent of Hives from 2011 to 2012 – Hurting Fruit, Vegetable Crops
    Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Agriculture Committee, today called on the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to bolster its efforts to revive New York’s bee population after a year when beekeepers lost on average 30 percent of their hives to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) -- hurting New York farms' ability to pollinate crops. Earlier this month, USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack directed $3 million to study bee losses in the Midwest. Senator Gillibrand is urging the USDA to expand their investigation to New York and the Northeast.

“New York’s farms rely on a strong and healthy bee population to pollinate our fruit and vegetable crops,” Senator Gillibrand said. “The alarming decline of the bee population comes at a steep price for our environment, our farms, and our economy. It is critical for the USDA make this investment here in New York to respond to Colony Collapse Disorder, and help revive New York’s farms.”

New York State has an estimated 52,000 beehives, each of which produce approximately 51 pounds of honey, ranking the state the tenth in honey production. Bee pollination supports blueberries, cherries, squash and other fruit and vegetables. Apple trees require two to three hives per acre to pollinate. Bee pollination adds an estimated $300 million value to a $4.4 billion agriculture industry in New York.

Throughout the U.S., a staggering 45 percent of beehives were lost just last year.
    The pollination initiative would be implemented by the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), a branch of USDA, from their field offices in New York State. NRCS conservation experts would provide New York farmers with the technical and financial resources to provide honey bees with nutritious pollen and nectar while providing benefits to the environment. For example, planting certain cover crops provides a benefit to producers by reducing erosion, increasing the health of their soil, inhibiting invasive species, providing quality forage and habitat for honey bees and other pollinators, as well as habitat for other wildlife.

Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    [B]New York farmers with the technical and financial resources to provide honey bees with nutritious pollen and nectar while providing benefits to the environment.

still only helps the farmers, and the only time I've seen any major nectar or pollen dearth in N.Y. is either during a drought or when large commercial operations move into the area.
    instead of setting up another govt. program, a better use of the money would be to put it into the conservation land program's so they could start offering the same rate as farmers are offering to rent land to plant corn. All of the places that I had hives on that was whip's land is now corn.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I applaud Gillibrands and Schumers efforts, as well as those pushing the Midwest Program, but I believe that they themselves will benefit from these programs more than honeybees, native pollinators, and/or beekeepers will.

Opening Federally held lands to commercial beekeepers may be of benefit to some beekeepers, but not most of the rest of the beekeepers experiencing the losses I am hearing about recently.

If a comprehensive survey of beekeepers across NY State could be done in April I believe we would see great loss, if what I heard from a small group of 15 relatively new beekeepers is indicative of what is being experienced across the State by others.

If I could get reports from all of the local bee clubs in NY State, what would I see?
    Mark Berninghausen

I applaud Gillibrands and Schumers efforts,
    I don't. Bees will thrive if the government stops subsidizing monoculture and bio fuels. This subsidizing multi million dollar operations has got to stop. It doesn't solve anything it creates more problems.
    Brian Cardinal

If a comprehensive survey of beekeepers across NY State could be done in April I believe we would see great loss, if what I heard from a small group of 15 relatively new beekeepers is indicative of what is being experienced across the State by others.

If I could get reports from all of the local bee clubs in NY State, what would I see?
    They did a comprehensive survey last year(off the top of my head less than 100 beeks participated), I'ts my understanding that they are going to do the same study this year all ready. Maybe someone should start an effort now to make all of the bee clubs aware of it and try and get their members to take the survey. Maybe Paul Cappy the head bee person should do something, I know he is very busy getting those minuets for the AIAC meeting written so must be extremely busy as they still have not been published.

Both Gillibrand and Schumer's article said that the state has to ask for the relief, that be the new Ag. commissioner with input from Paul Cappy and the AIAC committee?
    I'm sure that what you heard from the 15 relatively new beekeepers is probably pretty bad, and by the end of March will probably be worse. When mother nature decided no honey flows after July last year, and then gave us this winter, there was no reason to believe that losses wouldn't bee high. The Govt. is paying the appropriate lip service to it.
    The hives that survive, breed queens of off them, start new hives with the queens, next time recognize what is going on, don't assume you are going to have an easy winter, and the next time it's this bad your losses will be less maybe. What is going to be worse for most is most everyone is sold out of nucs and or packages or afraid to commit to selling bees, many people are over ordering just in case, so we will probably end up with more hives next year not less. so what exactly were the 15 saying?
    mike syracuse ny

The AIAC minutes have to be approved by the Commissioner's Office. The minutes probably are ready, they just haven't been approved for release to the general public it appears. This is standard operating procedure for any Governmental Department.
    Mark Berninghausen

Mike, what are folks in your club saying about their colony count?
    Mark Berninghausen

Mike, what are folks in your club saying about their colony count?
    Well one of the persons was in the video on the thread that got closed, he expect 30% or higher, not sure how he knows as he hasn't checked any hives but he is treatment fee, but he did say he left all the honey supers on because the flow was so bad. One other experienced beek said his hives went in light he was putting sugar into the empty comb and putting them back in the hive, most of the newer beeks said they had lost some but they expected to lose those as they were weak. I haven't heard any percentages of losses from anybody, I don't know of any of the experienced beeks that have even gone out and checked any hives. No one that checked has said they are surprised by the losses.
    I snowshoe'd in to a little over half of my hives, they went into winter lighter than normal but heavier than most leave there hives, I have lost 10%, 3 to small clusters or queenless,
    1 got stuck and starve, and 1 (my best breeder queen last year) went straight up the middle(really nice cluster) and ran out of honey. The 5 hives lost saved another 5 that would have run out of honey shortly. none of that includes any that are queenless etc. So I would guess people that aren't checking would be running about 20% loss right now.
    I expect higher losses in two of the yards I haven't checked because I picked up queens from two different locations last year, they were heavy enough but not being my bees and being from further south have to wait and see.
    I would venture that my hives are 20-30% lighter this year than they were last year at this time. None of the dead hives had any sealed brood as of last week, so I would guess that when they do start, the bees will not be as far along this spring as last spring. People trying to find nucs are having problems. I'm making up more feeders for spring.

what did the 15 you talked to have to say?
    mike syracuse ny

The AIAC minutes have to be approved by the Commissioner's Office. The minutes probably are ready, they just haven't been approved for release to the general public it appears.
    I'll let you know I sent the commissioners office a letter.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I don't. Bees will thrive if the government stops subsidizing monoculture and bio fuels. This subsidizing multi million dollar operations has got to stop. It doesn't solve anything it creates more problems.
    If the goverment stops subsidizing monoculture, the farmers are still going to farm. All that will happen is the price farm products will rise. It's not like a mulit-million dollar farm operation is going to switch to organic gradening with an abundance of plant species. The world needs corn, soy, and wheat. That is not going to change.

Biofuel production will certainly drop without subsidies but again, it isnt like they are going to convert the former corn producing acerage to bee forage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    If the goverment stops subsidizing monoculture, the farmers are still going to farm. All that will happen is the price farm products will rise.
    and each product will be sold for what it is really worth instead of what the Govt. decides its worth. Living in N.Y. I have no problem saying that all subsidies for the Dairy industries should be done away with and let the price of milk reflect the actual cost to produce it. If I feel its a good value, I will buy it, if it's labeled growth hormone free, I may actually pay a little more. If they are going to use my tax money to subsidize anything I elect that subsidy to go to beer!! but no one listens to me.
    mike syracuse ny

So if the government actually handed out subsidies to beekeepers (as opposed to farmers, ranchers, and dairymen) that would be used to help improve the health and well being of honeybees, how many people on this forum would think this was a good practice?

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I elect that subsidy to go to beer!! but no one listens to me.
    I agree
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    If they are going to use my tax money to subsidize anything I elect that subsidy to go to beer!!
    They should be funding startup craft breweries with the requirement that at least one brew be done using honey!
    Regards, Barry

"Wisconsin and the Dakotas can qualify for about $3 million to reseed pastures with alfalfa, clover and other plants appealing to both bees and livestock."

Is the alfalfa going to be cut before it blooms? What kind of clover? red?
    What other plants can farmers bale that bees like?

If they don't do it right they may just be giving money away to rich farmers to grow animal feed for free.

If they want to so something they should put land in CRP or natural restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    If they want to so something they should put land in CRP or natural restoration.
    said it b/4 and still agree, why waste time creating all kinds of new govt jobs, when you already have agencies that do this very well. I'm starting to lean to subsidizing hops if it doesn't already have one.
    mike syracuse ny