Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Question for Michael Bush - Top Entrance on Top Bar Hive

A question for those using plexiglass instead of glass ….. what do you find (or estimate) the life of your plexiglass to be? I would think when you need to cut and scrape any attached comb you would scratch the soft plexiglass. Over time, the scratches and scrapes add up reducing the viewing quality don't they? Let me know what your experiences are or have been with the plexi versus glass to help me decide which way to go.
    "Everything turns to dust -and there is nothing you can do to stop it".

>Hows this?

Perfect.

>Feel free to use it.

Thanks.

>I can also email you the original file.

That would be good.

>A question for those using plexiglass instead of glass ….. what do you find (or estimate) the life of your plexiglass to be?

It's probably worth using glass if you plan to scrape it off. If you have plexiglass I would clean it with mineral oil (the laxitive type which has no smell) so you don't scratch it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Files Sent. Thanks!

What is the distance from the inside of the end piece to the first bar? I assume the first bar will be brood. Will it be any different than the following brood combs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bawbby View Post
    What is the distance from the inside of the end piece to the first bar? I assume the first bar will be brood. Will it be any different than the following brood combs?
    I found over half of my six hives from last year went 1-2 bars back from the end entrance before they would build comb. And would only fill up the front when I shuffled comb around. So distance may be relative. Small enough to defend.

>What is the distance from the inside of the end piece to the first bar?

Whatever is left over for space, but if it's less than 1/2" I would remove a bar and make it 2". Bars swell in the humidity and shrink when it dries up. You don't want the bars to swell and close the entrance. So I would say somwhere between 1/2" and 2". You can make a special bar for the end that fills all the space and then cut a notch in it for the entrance if you want a reducer. I've never done it, but it could be helpful...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF