Default How long does EFB survive?

Last October I inspected hive for a friend who suspected she had EFB. I've never seen EFB or AFB, other than pictures and videos. There was a slight rancid smell coming from some frames and brood looked like pictures of EFB I've seen. I took a frame home and cut out a sample to send to a bee lab. I never received anything back so at the beginning of February I sent another brood comb sample for testing. The results said that only varroa was found, no mention of foulbrood. My question is, could any residue of EFB been killed in the 3 months that the frame was in my chest freezer. Do freezing temps kill efb? Do they kill afb?

Default Re: How long does EFB survive?

1. Freezing has no effect on the spores of American Foul Brood.

2. European Foul Brood is non-spore forming, but the bacteria can last for some time in larvae that died from the disease. How long I don't know, but EFB is usually easy for a colony to clean up, so I would not think the bacteria last more than a week or two. The usual method of making a colony queenless for 10 days works well as it gives the bees time to clean up the dead larvae, if the bacteria persisted very long the method would fail because of reinfection. I don't know if the cold would have an additional effect on the bacteria.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

Default Re: How long does EFB survive?

Thanks.
    So it's possible that this was a case of efb, but due to time the frame has been sitting before it was analyzed any signs of efb have disappeared.