Thread: bee venom

Default bee venom

ok, I have this thought, I would like to share, but most of you will not like it...I have had a lot of people ask me for, and info about bee venom, I have stung myself and others.. I know the strength of venom is reduced in winter,and when there is no nectar. so im wondering how much venom is left in the deadout hive I have, and if it can be harvested. ive read on aas website that women are even using it cosmetically. I hate killing a bee, for a sting, tho it has worked for me. anybody have any thoughts on this?

Default Re: bee venom

Bee venom contains a number of proteins, and I imagine that these would begin to decompose immediately upon the death of the bee, just like all of the other proteins. So, I'd be surprised if the venom of a dead bee were the same as that in a living bee.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

just search for bee venom in Canada and USA ,also you can find from AAs . is two large producer of bee venom in Vancouver Canada
    M. Semic and Caspian apiaries.

There are harvesting plates that allow you to collect venom without harming the bees. They aren't cheap, mind you, but they are out there.
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing...
    - Socrates

thanks for all the replies! I will look into the harvest plates, tho I cannot see how the bee survives. I still think I will collect my dead bees and make a poultice.