Default Another question from a new beek

Im making a TBH and need to know if I should use screen for the bottom or not. I'm in Alabama so it gets hot. On the other hand it went down to10 degrees this past winter. If I use screen do I need to close off the screen in winter? Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Another question from a new beek

Welcome
    I use a screened bottom here in NC

There was recently a thread on screen bottoms, may want to look it up. I keep most of my bees on screen bottoms because of several factors also recently discussed. As with most people not used to keeping bees you seem preoccupied with how they will react to heat and cold. Down here we never should be concerned with that, with the large exception of condensed moisture in cold weather which will kill them overnight. lack of ventilation can be a big problem, but not too much ventilation, recently a large bee colony was removed from a tree where they had built their hive on the outside of a limb, residents say it had been there several years, the beek that removed it said it was the largest hive he'd ever seen. I keep my hives in full sun and only close my screen bottoms when I'm doing a new split, I open it back up after the queen is laying. Good luck with your TBH and keep asking questions, it's better than learning from mistakes.

Provides lots of ways for the SHBs to move in and out of the hive. I would say no, but you are in a hotter climate than me. One full of SHBs. I hate those things.

I would not use a screened bottom on a top bar hive. If you do, I would not have an OPEN screened bottom on a top bar hive. First they will probably abscond if it's open. Second, they will not be able to keep it cool in the summer if it's open.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank for the help. I'm sure I will have more questions. Really excited to get my bees in a few weeks!