Default 8 Frame Hives for Pollination vs 10 frame

I'm sure this question has been beat to death at times but here goes.... Any downside to using 8 Frame equipment for commercial pollination? I had to go to Fresno last week and saw most of the equipment was 10 frame (Almonds), I did see some 8 frame though. Just looking for some input.

Thanks

Default Re: 8 Frame Hives for Pollination vs 10 frame

8 frame seems to build up faster, however you lose 2 frames of potential brood. My advice stick with the same size type. Interchangeable boxes is key. It sucks having 8 frame that needs another box and having to use 10 frame equipment and vice versa.

You can fit and extra row of boxes on the truck by using 8 frame boxes instead of 10's. You'll have 4 less frames per two story hive, so swarming might happen a little sooner in 8's vs 10's. I assisted a side liner for almond pollination in CA for a couple of years, he used all 8 frame deep 2 story hives. He gave the reason as being able to fit an extra row of hives on the truck.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

Thanks Guys for your replies!
    RayMarler, yes I had read that also.

Keith, thanks for the phone call, it got me off the fence!