Default 8 Frame Hives for Pollination vs 10 frame

I'm sure this question has been beat to death at times but here goes.... Any downside to using 8 Frame equipment for commercial pollination? I had to go to Fresno last week and saw most of the equipment was 10 frame (Almonds), I did see some 8 frame though. Just looking for some input.

Thanks

Default Re: 8 Frame Hives for Pollination vs 10 frame

8 frame seems to build up faster, however you lose 2 frames of potential brood. My advice stick with the same size type. Interchangeable boxes is key. It sucks having 8 frame that needs another box and having to use 10 frame equipment and vice versa.

You can fit and extra row of boxes on the truck by using 8 frame boxes instead of 10's. You'll have 4 less frames per two story hive, so swarming might happen a little sooner in 8's vs 10's. I assisted a side liner for almond pollination in CA for a couple of years, he used all 8 frame deep 2 story hives. He gave the reason as being able to fit an extra row of hives on the truck.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thanks Guys for your replies!
    RayMarler, yes I had read that also.

Keith, thanks for the phone call, it got me off the fence!