Default Trap out question

Ok it is warming up enough for me to be thinking about trying a pair of trap outs.

One is in a tree and I want to remove the bees and seal it so bees don't come back. It is in a cattle corral and they cannot use it with bees living in the tree. Bees come back and the tree is likely to come down. Anyone have any tips on how to seal up the tree. I was thinking of spanning across the holes with #8 hardware cloth doubled up and sealed in with black roofing sealent.

Second one is in a steel 10 in pipe, heavy walled, at least 15 feet long. Thinking of just plugging one end and putting a trap on the other end. However, the hive is at least 4 to 5 feet from one end. Is this be too far for the bees consider the trap as part of the hive? Is it too far to use a capped brood to pull out nurse bees out and maybe the queen?

Ok experienced folks, any advice.

Thanks
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Default Re: Trap out question

Send me an e-mail. cchoganjr@scrtc.com I will send you a 12 page document with photos of trap outs in progress. No salesman will cal, everything is free.

3 mil plastic is good for closing out entrances, and it blocks light. 4 to 5 feet is likely too far for the queen to come out, but, might happen.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Send me an e-mail. cchoganjr@scrtc.com I will send you a 12 page document with photos of trap outs in progress. No salesman will cal, everything is free.

3 mil plastic is good for closing out entrances, and it blocks light. 4 to 5 feet is likely too far for the queen to come out, but, might happen.

cchoganjr
    Cleo: Would the bees run out of the pipe if he just put smoke in one end? Or would they all just suffocate?
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Cleo - Will send you a note tonight. Thanks you sir I do appreciate it.

Colino - was thinking the same. But don't want to kill them.

Also looking at maybe just capping one end of the pipe and placing a trap on the other end for a few days so the bees get used to going thru. Get a 2x2 with a paint scrapper mounted on the end. Shove a narrow piece of wood in the pipe under the comb. Then using that long handled scrapper knock the comb down and remove all of it. Put the trap back in place and band some brood comb to frames. I was hoping this might attract the queen.

Thoughts anyone
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post

Also looking at maybe just capping one end of the pipe and placing a trap on the other end for a few days so the bees get used to going thru. Get a 2x2 with a paint scrapper mounted on the end. Shove a narrow piece of wood in the pipe under the comb. Then using that long handled scrapper knock the comb down and remove all of it. Put the trap back in place and band some brood comb to frames. I was hoping this might attract the queen.
    Thoughts anyone
    I was thinking about this today, what if you located exactly where the hive is located in the pipe and its length by measuring from both sides, then if you have the skills take a piece of galvanized sheet metal that length with a width so you are able to roll into a pipe just so it fits the inside diameter of the 10" pipe and fasten it to your 2x2. Put the seam to the bottom and attach the 2x2 there also. That way it would make you a big cutter and as you slid it in it would cut the comb while at the same time collecting it inside your sheet metal pipe. I know there are a lot of variables but maybe you can elaborate on this basic idea. After 25 years working with sheet metal believe me when I say how well it can cut. If you used say 26 guage which would be light but still strong enough to do the job. It might just work.
    Colino
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Just not that comfortable with my skills with a sheet of thin sheet metal. Plus have not on hand, so that would be an added cost. But it is a good idea.