Default Beevac into a TBH?

I've seen a few Beevac plans that suck bees directly into traditional hive bodies. Is it possible to adapt a beevac to pull bees into a TBH or horizontal hive?

Default Re: Beevac into a TBH?

Beevacs have foundation on frames so bees will have someplace to land. That might be more difficult in a TBH unless you make some top bars fitted with foundation. Beevacs are hard on the bees.
    9 months, 12 colonies, TF (so far)

It would work fine because a TB hive is long, lots of space for the bees to tumble onto as they come out the hose. Inlet hose on one end, suction port on the other. You don't want anything for the bees to bump into. You want a few combs at the suction end for the bees to crawl up onto. You will need a big screen on the suction end. Beevacs are only hard on bees if you use too much suction, have an overly rough hose, have the bees crash into something as the they come out of the hose or suffocate the bees at the end. I have done dozens of vac removals with little loss of bees. Study Bushkill vac designs.

Here's mine for a lang. Maybe you can adapt to for a TBH

P1010227.jpgP1010228.jpg
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Here's mine for a lang. Maybe you can adapt to for a TBH

P1010227.jpgP1010228.jpg
    Thanks for the pictures. That was the style I was thinking of. I think it would be easy to build a horizontal hive that has ends to accept the hoses along with the appropriate vent to adjust the flow, but then the hive would have holes that need to be covered when its functioning as a regular hive and it would be prone to air gaps between the top bars/frames. Maybe I can figure out a way to swap the ends of it for solid pieces once the hive is full. Or perhaps I'm better off going with what you did and just move the frames to the horizontal hive once the new residents are settled in.

Maybe you could make a wide topbar box for the suction, maybe 3"+ wide. One side would be solid, one side would be screened, the topbar would have the hole for the vac suction hose. It would hang with the topbars at the opposite end from the inlet hose. The entrance hole for the hive would be on the other end being enough to fit the inlet vac hose. You could make a bung to reduce it's size later. On my Bushkill vac I use a Ridgid vac blower for suction which is so powerful I bleed off most of the suction, so gaps between your topbars would not matter. This vac topbar would be re-usable for any topbar hives of the same dimensions. The trouble being with topbars, they are a huge clumsy size to move around and much too big for your average swarm, so maybe make a mini topbar hive for the vac jobs and transfer them into a larger topbar hive on site.

To add, the inlet air flow is regulated by rotating/opening the square piece of plexi glass on top front 3 1/2 round hole.

It was amazing how much leakage there was at the edges of the super, but was easily resolved with painters tape that was on the shelf.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!