Default HELP for new beekeeper

I am currently taking a beginning class and plan to build my TBH. Question is can I use western cedar for my hive. I know eastern cedar repels moths but don't know if either type of cedar would have any effect on bees. Thanks in advance

Default Re: HELP for new beekeeper

Welcome to Beesource!

There are a number of vendors selling western cedar hives, and I don't believe anyone has reported problems with cedar hives (any more so than hives made from other wood types).
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I asked a similar question about a month ago . The general opinion was that it was OK to use the cedar , it was just more expensive than white woods .

Save the money and get pine and a gallon of oops paint from Lowes. If it is off the ground and has good top it should get very little weather and last a very long time.

Yes, cheaper materials are just as good for this. I second getting pine and a gallon of whatever miss-color the store has laying around. Long as its exterior latex paint, it'll be fine. Just paint all of the outside, leave the inside unpainted, and el-cheapo pine will last just as long as expensive cedar.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveStevenson View Post
    I am currently taking a beginning class and plan to build my TBH. Question is can I use western cedar for my hive. I know eastern cedar repels moths but don't know if either type of cedar would have any effect on bees. Thanks in advance
    As folks have already pointed out, yes you can. Take a look at the hives at beethinking.com, they are all cedar. Pine and paint may be cheaper, but those cedar hives sure are nice looking!

Thanks for the help! I am using the cedar cause it looks better & that makes the wife happy. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by SteveStevenson View Post
    & that makes the wife happy.
    And that is cheap at any price.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

If better half's not happy, no ones happy !!

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study of bees in cedar hives? Since the cedar repels moths and things, I wonder if it does the same thing to other pests? The reason I ask is that I know of a feral hive in a cedar tree that has been there for 20 years. My buddy gave me a swarm from there, and it has been my strongest colony. I plan on grafting from it this spring. Cedar tree, or just survivor bees? Sorry to get off topic, the posters question just got me to wondering....
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

That's a good question. It should at least tend to repel wax moths, I hope!