Default Zone 7-8 ,52 degrees and my bees found pollen!!!

Wow. Being a first year Beek with first overwintering sure is interesting! I didn't expect my bees to be "working" for another month or two since we get frosts until April 25 or so! I've been thrilled to see cleansing flights all winter,although my cluster got so small it's been hard for me to hope they'd make it.

Now the little darlins are bringing in two colors of pollen!!! I don't know who-the-heck has flowers but my bees found 'em! wow!!! My crocus haven't even blossomed yet although buds are out. All it takes for my bees to fly is about 52 degrees,on and off sun,and no wind. With all my swarming and doubts last year I may have ended up with a "survivor" strain.That would bee so awesome! They have many combs of honey still since their numbers have been few all winter. I don't see mites on the dead I check although I'm sure some are in there.

I only had one hive last year but have a second hive ready,empty nuc, and purchased package coming in April. Now I'm thinking I should split these tough gals too! Well, I just wanted to "report" since today was such a Very happy day for me! This old gal almost wants to dance around! Gosh I love bees. HB

Default Re: Zone 7-8 ,52 degrees and my bees found pollen!!!

On another thread someone mentioned silver maples being in bloom. I looked it up and the botanical garden here says they bloom in February or March. When I checked the pollen report it showed tree pollen for this region. I wasn't at home today so I don't know if they are bringing it in yet. I'll watch for it tomorrow.

Glad to hear your bees are making it!

Peaches are blooming here!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Plumbs and Peaches starting to bloom here in Lizard Creek:}

Oh and the Strawberries too:}

I m with happy, me bees are bringing in some type of light colored pollen, no idea where it is coming from.
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    On another thread someone mentioned silver maples being in bloom. I looked it up and the botanical garden here says they bloom in February or March. When I checked the pollen report it showed tree pollen for this region. I wasn't at home today so I don't know if they are bringing it in yet. I'll watch for it tomorrow.

Glad to hear your bees are making it!
    we have been seeing pollen coming in for a week or soo...on flyable days. figured id letcha know since we are in a some what closer zone for you than Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by tommysnare View Post
    we have been seeing pollen coming in for a week or soo...on flyable days. figured id letcha know since we are in a some what closer zone for you than Oregon
    Thanks! It is good to know as mine have started some small patches of brood. When I responded I was more responding to the pollen question, letting HB know that it may be tree pollen and to check the pollen report.

I did watch for pollen today. Saw one with a partial load come in but that was it. I inspected one colony and it looked like they had brought some nectar in. Wonder if the silver maples are worked for nectar as well as pollen.

I'm in Pennsylvania. My bees were bringing in pollen this weekend too! So exciting!!
    Christy
    Beekeeping, working mom of 2 little future beekeepers in Pennsylvania.

Mine were flying this weekend but they were bringing in seed dust from the bird feeder, not pollen unfortunately. The flowers are not yet in bloom. Since they are wanting protein I gave them a couple of patties.

My bees were bringing in loads of light olive colored pollen over the weekend. Based on this I think it is Box Elder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

We just got another dump of snow followed by freezing rain!
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I also had bees flying the other day with 18 inches of snow on the ground. It was about 60 degrees and some bees were bringing in pollen. Both top bar hives survived and were looking good when i took a peak. Some bees were bringing in pollen in their baskets. I looked on the internet at pollen.com and the site says it could be juniper elm or maple/box elder. I never thought there would be pollen available now.
    dave
    in s.e. Pa.

first is the maples,willows,box elders with dandelions mine are bringing in the maple blooms now going on week two today or soon willows will start cleaned out my one dead out and preparing 10 more hives for splits hope to go from 10 to 30 including the 6 packages i bought