Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Should I become a commercial beekeeper?

I hope that Ben is blessed w/ a spouse that will don a beesuit and gloves and work right along side him. The beekeeping cpls I most admire pull together in the bee yard, the honey house, and the home they live in whether that home is in one State or a cpl of States.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I think Ben or anyone else needs to pursue a beekeeping career if that's the drive/interest they have. Doesn't need to hinge on whether your spouse has an active interest in it or not. You'll be blessed the most if your spouse is doing what they're wired/gifted to do, even if it's worlds apart from what you do. Remember, it's not all about "you" when there are two of you.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think Ben or anyone else needs to pursue a beekeeping career if that's the drive/interest they have. Doesn't need to hinge on whether your spouse has an active interest in it or not. You'll be blessed the most if your spouse is doing what they're wired/gifted to do, even if it's worlds apart from what you do. Remember, it's not all about "you" when there are two of you.
    Ditto!!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Big Grin Re: Should I become a commercial beekeeper?

. Doesn't need to hinge on whether your spouse has an active interest in it or not. You'll be blessed the most if your spouse is doing what they're wired/gifted to do, even if it's worlds apart from what you.
    Well said, my wife doesn't wear bee veils or bee stuff, she however adds balance (her words), she spends what ever I make so that the bank account doesn't get plug or jammed out. lol

wouldn't change a thing.

P.s. she gifted.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Well said, my wife doesn't wear bee veils or bee stuff, she however adds balance (her words), she spends what ever I make so that the bank account doesn't get plug or jammed out. lol

wouldn't change a thing.

P.s. she gifted.
    ha ha ha

Ditto!!

but seriously, like what Keith said, if the second half isnt as committed as you are to the farm, then it WILL not work out in the long run. I hinge on my wife as my balance.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I would never expose my spouse to this wild life. There is no time for chivalry in the bee yard.

Well there Ben... There you have it. If you are so blessed to be married and acknowledge and live according to the sage insights Barry just mentioned you will do yourself( and the MRS. ) very well. Knowing you and your family I think you already know this stuff........ Just practice it.....

Thanks everyone for the advice.....I definitely need to research more. I am most certainly drawn to beekeeping and really want to make a go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanticleer48 View Post
    I definitely need to research more.
    Thats kinda the reason why you didnt get any real answers to your question.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian I gave him a real answer.

Perhaps what Ian meant, not to put words in Ians mouth, was that research would have answered all of his questions since many of us have already answered such questions before and I didn't feel like going over them again, one more time. Though I did give him some answers and encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Perhaps what Ian meant, not to put words in Ians mouth, was that research would have answered all of his questions since many of us have already answered such questions before and I didn't feel like going over them again, one more time. Though I did give him some answers and encouragement.

The bee blogs are part of my research.....that's the reason I asked so-called "seasoned" commercial beekeepers on a commercial beekeeping blog. I have been visiting local commercial beekeepers, asking questions and trying to get all the info I can before leaping into the unknown. I was simply looking for advice.

Which I think you got, right?

It must be a BEN Thing , because My " Lovely Assistant" as Amanda likes to say works with me @ the family engine repair shop I currently work @ and we are transferring over into a full time commercial Beekeeping career . I couldn't be happier that she is right there beside me , we have only been engaged for >>>>>>>>>> 14 Years now <<<<<<<< But we aren't in any hurry LOL
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

To do the other side (C.C. Miller was a brilliant man with a doctorate in medicine who spent his life beekeeping), my Grandpa took me aside when I turned 18 and told me a story. It went something like this:

"When I was a kid there was nothing I liked better than a picinic. I couldn't wait to get to the picinic and I hated to go home. If you ever find something you can make even a modest living at that you love that much, you should do it. You're going to spend your life working and if you love doing it, your life will be like that picinic, and if you are miserable doing it, your life will be miserable."

It was the best advice he ever gave me (and he gave me a lot of good advice).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Chanticleer48 View Post
    I was hoping some of you commercial pollinators could enlightened me as what to expect. I was thinking of a 500 to 1000 hive apiary, what are some of the challenges and expenses? ....but what are some of the other problems that yall have encounter as commercial beekeepers? If you had to do it over, would you choose to be a commercial beekeeper once again? Would you encourage or discourage me to become a commercial beekeeper?
    well, I didnt mean you guys didnt give some good answers, because you did! LOL The input from this forum is quite outstanding!

All I was getting at was did we really uncover any secrets for Chanticleer48? Other than making sure he has a good ol gal beside him?

Because all my secrets would fill a book! ha ha ha
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Chanticleer48, here is a bit of advice, listen up to these commercial guys talk bees here on this forum. These conversations are priceless
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Because all my secrets would fill a book! ha ha ha
    Well, Ian, all of my secrets are printed somewhere he on beesource. Mine would be a pretty thin book. Maybe more like a pamphlet, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Mine would be a pretty thin book. Maybe more like a pamphlet, if that.
    I somehow doubt that,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I appreciate all the information and help I receive from the bee veterans and I apologize if yall feel like you are having to rehashing the same information over and over. Thanks again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast