Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: painting new hive boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Vance thinks it is bad to paint the inside of the box ...... That is why I think it is a problem. ........ If it is important to prove me wrong, by all means lead the newbees into trouble. I am wrong a lot but not about this.
    everyone has opinions....and you shared yours, and I shared mine.....I have no intention of trying to prove anyone wrong....and certainly do not intend to lead anyone wrong....just simply giving my opinion.

We paint our homes inside and out...and I certainly hope it is safe for my family to be in a painted house....so my opinion is it will not hurt my insects either.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Maybe some folks find the use of plywood satisfactory, but I don't. Not for building boxes.
    I have had good luck with plywood over the years for many projects.....as long as water does not stand on it, I have found that it holds up great...sometimes even better than a lot of whitewood boards do.

The boxes I built with it two years ago still look good, and I still haven't painted some of them.

I have seen plywood boxes that didn't last 5 years and wooden board boxes that have lasted decades.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

perhaps....I will let you know more after a few more years

Well there are pros and cons of plywood. It is a little harder on tools in my opinion, but about 1/4 the cost of say hickory boards. I take the hint of using TB3 on the edges, its good advice. I like the bare wood look, is why I favor urethane for the outside. for the inside, I think bare sanded wood is fine, in central New Mexico we have a dry climate so I am not too worried about the wood getting wet and rotting. I am more worried that the bees won't thrive in the climate. The hive will be located in pine forest so there should be plenty of propolis for the bees to work with. this hive wont get bees until after the last frost danger in late May. that should give it time to air out.

If you ever think that in the future you might want to get your apiary to be "certified" using the Certified Naturally Grown guidelines found here: http://www.naturallygrown.org/programs/apiary-standards
    then you do not want to paint the interior of your hive. The CNG standards are almost impossible for someone like me to meet in an urban situation.
    "Everything turns to dust -and there is nothing you can do to stop it".

thanks to some of you, i got a gallon of acrylic latex exterior oops for 7 bucks and am now happily painting the outsides only.

with plywood painting or sealing and painting the top and bottom edges would be a real good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    with plywood painting or sealing and painting the top and bottom edges would be a real good idea.
    yes,I painted all exposed edges with TB3 glue to seal them up.

One coat of tb3 on the edges, and two coats of paint on the outside and all edges. now hard at work on building frames. thanks everyone for very good advice.

paint the outside only. the bees will seal the inside for themselves.
    exterior 'oops' paint is fine. we do a few coats and heavily on the joints/end grain.

What if you had someone paint the box for you and gave poor instructions.....?

Brand new box painted inside and out because I wasn't clear. Can I use it or just get a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhited View Post
    Brand new box painted inside and out because I wasn't clear. Can I use it or just get a new one?
    You're fine...........use it. Was just no need to paint it....................
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Wink Re: painting new hive boxes

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    You're fine...........use it. Was just no need to paint it....................
    about 40 or 50 years ago usda recommended that the insides be painted. your fine. a couple of days ago I was asked what to do, a new keeper painted the frames, I suggested rotating them out, the foundation was not painted at least..

>about 40 or 50 years ago usda recommended that the insides be painted

yes, with lead paint... that was a GREAT idea...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12