Hybrid View

Default painting new hive boxes

I am building a new Langstroth hive. I need to know if I should paint both inside and out, or just outside? Also, what is the best paint to use, Urethane, Latex, oil based enamel or something else?

Default Re: painting new hive boxes

I've seen several recommendations on here for Eco Wood Treatment. You can get it at Home Depot but you have to order it online first they don't stock it. I read the reviews and ordered some but it hasn't gotten here yet. Whatever you decide to use, I would only do the outside.
    "If I only knew then what I know now but keep forgetting"

Under no conditions should you paint the inside of the box. Paint the edges only if you must. The best paint to use is a premier house paint that is being sold for $5-10 a gallon because the customer didn't like the color.

I personally like any green or tawny gold color because the hives blend into the background and are stealthy which I like. But I can't resist a robins egg blue either. I don't use any really dark colors because I don't want the heat absorption. I prefer a latex as there is not a lot of loud smell left that may make the bees decide they do not like this stinky house and abscound. After painting let them air outside in the sun for as long as you have before use.

Outside only, latex paint with a good quality primer first. It will save you a lot of trouble later on.

Alrighty then, I'll paint the outside, and the bees can paint the inside. I have to paint the edges, because it is 3/4 ply wood. It will have a few months to dry out doors before it is put to use. As I see it, painting is to preserve and protect the wood, and since it is just the outside, if I use a spar varnish that should not affect the bees, as there wont be any out gas accumulation inside the hive that would be any worse than the glue used in the ply wood in the first place. I know that is not a purist ideal, but this is the real world.

I would suggest that you seal the edges of the plywood with TiteBond II or III before painting.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I would suggest that you seal the edges of the plywood with TiteBond II or III before painting.
    I'll second that. You may even want to seal the edges with glue a couple of times to make sure all the pores are completely sealed before painting. It will extend the life of the plywood many times over. That's the weak spot.
    To everything there is a season....