Default Recent Bee Removal

A local movie and television company called me this Tuesday and told me that they had a bee problem. Long story short I removed the bees the next day (Feb. 19th). The weather was mild around 66 degrees. My usual helper wasn't available so I did it myself. They were tearing down a bunch of abandoned buildings for an upcoming movie called "The Manhattan Project". Removals such as this are not very common even for my area in February. I did locate the queen on the second frame of brood I cut out. As they say you never know what's behind that wall until you open it up. These bees have been in this abandoned building for many years. Took me over 5 hours to removal all the bees, comb and honey stores. I placed all the comb honey in 40 qt. plastic bins (4 of them). They weighed over 180 lbs. Good feed for the established yards this spring.

"Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Default Re: Recent Bee Removal

Wow, that is incredible. Bees are so freaking cool!!! Nice work on the cutout, glad you found the queen.

Got to love the cutouts from anything abandoned (a little more caution in the wind), and not to mention not having to put anything back together. Looks like you will have some great treatment free genetics, and honey hoarders to boot. Queen on the second frame, Whooty whoo, I am guessing little to no smoke was used? I can't wait till the cutout season starts here, and the phone keeps ringing.
    Last edited by fieldsofnaturalhoney; 02-21-2014 at 01:07 PM.

I had to look twice to see where you were! I'm in Wisconsin and we have 30 degrees and 40 mph winds right now...any cutout is staying put till more favorable weather decides to roll in!!!

Got to love that asbestos shingle siding. Looks like you did a good job.

G3

You have a keen eye picking up the asbestos shingles. We discussed that before I did the demo. I was careful not to cut them just remove them and place them all in a plastic bag.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti